URGENT Blood Donation Required - URGENTLY 0-

Hamokhamok

Just received this from THAIVISA.COM:

Important notice! Are you a blood donor?

A US citizen living in Bangkok is in URGENT need for blood type ?O negative? donors. He is currently at Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok where he is on the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) with kidney failure and an abnormal sized liver. This blood type is very rare especially among Asian

people and so far no blood of this type is in stock. If you have this blood type or know anyone who does, please contact one of us. We can be reached 24/7:

Claus Boman, phone 069 88 00 11 (speaks English and Scandinavian languages)

Supreeya Premthong phone 01 33 01 565 (speaks English and Thai).

The donation will take place in Bumrungrad Hospital at Sukhumvit Soi 3. All transportation and hospital fees will be taken care of.

Hamok,

Yes, O neg is very rare, I have this and I am giving blood twice a year, unfortunately not in Bangers right now.

Even among farang, it is only about 6 % of the population with O neg.

Can give to all, recieve only from same. Universal donor, exclusive reciever.

I hope he will be ok.

Cheers !

Go to the Hospital mentioned in my first message.

I'm sure they will welcome you immediately.

PS I should say I know nothing about this matter except what I posted.

I just used this board as a means of passing on what seems to be an urgent request for blood.

>>>> Quote from www.bambi-bangkok.org/living/health/blood.htm

In many countries your blood type will not be an issue you need to think much about? However, only 0.3% of the Thai population has Rhesus negative blood types, compared with 20% of the population in the UK, for example. The Thai Red Cross has a mere 3,000 Rhesus negative donors on their register throughout the country. Many of these donors are not contactable by telephone. In a city with an estimated population of over 10 million people this is not many.

Update:

I am a Rhesus negative ?Brit? currently living in Bangkok and read the headline appeal for suitable blood donors on Stickman?s site Monday March 8th. I rang and my telephone number was passed to a Thai lady who informed me that they already had three donors who were currently being tested. She also said that I maybe be required to donate blood in about three days. I have not been contacted since.

I was curious to know of the availability of my blood group, searched the web and now mildly alarmed at the scarcity!

Archived