China Airlines (What is the service Like)???

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All--

For an airlines like Emeriates that is a mere 15 years only they are already one of the best middle east based carriers.. I have flown them on occassions (DBX-LHR, DBX-BOM, JED-DUX... I have to say that their service is very good, and their planes are very clean and quite new. They just placed a multi-year 15Billion Dollar fleet expansion order with Boeing and Airbus which will bring them to over 100 planes fleetwide.

Cabin staff is attentive and pleasant. Service is crisp and professional. Ammentities are similar to other high-end carriers. 127 seats in "C" and in-seat tv's..

enjoy!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

Cabin staff is attentive and pleasant. Service is crisp and professional. Ammentities are similar to other high-end carriers. 127 seats in "C" and in-seat tv's..

What do you mean "high-end carriers" and "127 seats in "C"" ??

All--

Sorry...

I consider the "high end" carriers to be the likes of SQ,BA,AF,LH and so forth.. These are carriers that (imho) consistently offer excellent service worldwide and are (almost always) at the high end of the fares offered as well..

127 refers to the angle of recline in the seats.. AF was one of (if not the first) to offer a 127 degree recline seat..

"C" is the booking code or class code for Business Class (much like "F" is for first and "Y" is for unrestricted coach, etc)

Again, sorry, I just use the acronyms to cut down the typing and many of our fellow posters are really frequent flyers..

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

quote:

I consider the "high end" carriers to be the likes of ...AF.... and so forth

did AF (Air France) improve so much?

Used to be a real shitty airline. Unsafe too, crshes relatively often.

And uses little tricks like codesharing with Air Gabun (so when you arrive in Paris to take your connecting AF-flight to Canada (!) you see these reassuring letters "Air Gabun" painted on your plane) or codesharing with the Colombian military (so when these crashed, AF didn't appear in the News - it just happened that the dead were all Europeans).

BTW BA is dirt cheap on many routes in Asia and Europe.

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

I consider the "high end" carriers to be the likes of SQ,BA,AF,LH and so forth.. These are carriers that (imho) consistently offer excellent service worldwide and are (almost always) at the high end of the fares offered as well..

127 refers to the angle of recline in the seats.. AF was one of (if not the first) to offer a 127 degree recline seat..

"C" is the booking code or class code for Business Class (much like "F" is for first and "Y" is for unrestricted coach, etc)

Thanks UPSer, I am sure there are many like myself, who have become frequent fliers since discovering LOS but have no ties with the aviation industry. To learn a little more, posts like yours are useful but the acronyms make it difficult.

Presumably, by mentioning 127 degree seat recline you are saying that other aircraft had seats that did not recline so much. I think if a seat reclined that much in enonomy on many aircraft, then the passenger would be in the lap of the person behind!! :-)

Ultra,

Ultra--

The seat thing gets kind of confusing because there are two terms involved.. One is "seat pitch" and the other is "recline".. Pitch is simply how many inches (or cm's) is there from the rear-most part of the seat in front of you to the forward-most portion of your seat cushion.. In other words, it's "leg room"..

The second term, "recline" is simply how far back or how many degrees does the seat back tilt.. The "upright postion" is considered to be 0.

So if you've got a 127 degree recline seat you're going to need quite a bit of "pitch" to allow the person behind you to get in and out.. When there is insufficient space that's when you get the famous "Excuse me, sorry to wake you up, I just need to use your headrest as a handle to get in/out of here."

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: My personal fav for "C" seats goes out to Singapore Airlines (SQ)

I read an article in the Anchorage Daily News that a China Airlines Airbus 340-300 with approx. 250 aboard took off on a 6000 ft. taxiway instead of proceeding onto main runway 32 at 11000 ft. length. It barely made it and the landing gear grazed a snow berm on its way to Taiwan on 25 Jan. Friday. I looked for other info. but it has not shown up in other newspapers, but found some of this info. in a aviation chatroom by accident.

this is very typical of China Airlines.

It's not just that they are not safe, their accidents tend to make people laugh.

Only CI managed lo land in HK on the back! I mean upwards down, the passengers dangling in their seatbelts.

Another time they overshot the runway in HK, so the plane ended up floating in HK's harbour.

Domestic flights in Taiwan crash a lot. Once a 30-minutes flight to some outlying islands "mysteriously disappeared" (that's what they said in the news), and even after a couple of hours the plane hadn't shown up at its destination. So it was decided to wait some more hours, maybe it would eventually show up! (Never mind it would have run out of fuel hours ago)

Their cousins on the ground are just as good: about 2 years ago they put some construction equipment on a runway in Taipei. Obviously they couldn't use this runway for takeoff and landing, but they still used it for taxiing. So they didn't put any barricades on the runway. What happened is that during a typhoon with zero visibility an SQ flight mistakenly used this runway for takeoff and crashed into the excavators. After the accident the authorities stated that they still see no reason to block this runway with barricades.

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: iuytrede ]

China Airlines? Took them 4 .5 hours to fly from Shanghai to Beijing one time and it is only a 2 hour flight! The only people on board to get any food or refreshment were the cabin crew who sat in the business class upper deck of the 747 eating their pot noodles!!! Frankly if you have any options I'd give them a missm they might never get you to LOS!!! shocked.gif" border="0

Taipan

Archived