Getting mail from USA.....too risky?

june11

Does anyone get their important mail from USA (or any country for that matter) forwarded to thailand every 2 weeks or so? If I have to spend more than 5 weeks in thailand I'm going to want to get all my mail sent in one big envelope every 2 weeks, but it seems too risky to use the regular (US and Thai) mail system....the latter is what worries me....mail being stolen, lost, ripped open, etc. I'm not worried about losing money...it's the important documents in the mail I want. The alternative is to use UPS or Fedex, and pay around $50 for each mailing (I get my mail forwarded by those "Mailboxes Etc." stores.

I also won't have a permanent address in thailand (even for a few days...I"ll be travelling around), so I"ll probably rent a mailbox in one of those "mailboxes etc." stores for a few months in order to receive the mail. Wow...thats going to be very expensive, especially since there's a chance when I DO get my mail, it may turn out to be nothing important (but then again it may...I usually receive lots of bank and financial statements).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Registered or express mail packets are quite reliable and I have not had any problem with normal mail. You really might want to get into the electronic generation and do your banking/finance on the internet. There really is no need for most mail these days.

Registered or express mail packets are quite reliable and I have not had any problem with normal mail.

MY REPLIES IN CAPS: i'VE READ ELSEWHERE THAT REGISTERED MAIL IS MORE LIKELY TO BE TAMPERED WITH.

You really might want to get into the electronic generation

and do your banking/finance on the internet. There really is no need for most mail these days. I HAD CONSIDERED ALL THAT AND IT WON'T WORK IN MY SITUATION FOR MOST OF THE MAIL I RECEIVE.

I THINK THAT ONE REALLY BIG ADVANTAGE OF UPS (UNITED PARCEL SERVICE), ALTHOUGH VERY EXPENSIVE, IS KNOWING EXACTLY WHEN I'LL RECEIVE IT, AND IT CAN BE TRACKED OVER THE INTERNET. BUT, KNOWING WHEN I'LL RECEIVE WILL ONLY BE VERY IMPORTANT JUST AS I'M READY TO DEPART THAILAND., SO I DON'T LEAVE BEFORE MY MAIL GETS HERE.

Send USPS Global Express. Once it reaches Thailand (a few days) it's picked up by Thai EMS. Very efficient, and much cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

HT

I've got to agree with lopburi3. Get online.

Any shit that you know needs sorting - do it before you leave. Get a mobile phone and give people your number so they can contact you.

I've spent months in LOS and never needed a mailbox and I have / had one of the most complex lives imaginable.

I figure ANY document/check mailed can be replaced so I use regular cheap mail service except for rare time critical mail. Never had a loss, but the document folders do sometimes arrive badly beat up and look like someone took turns throwing it against a wall. Ditto on switching everything to online delivery when possible.

I have a good friend who picks up and sorts my mail in the States. Junk mail gets circular filed and he emails me about anything that looks important. Real important, he calls me.

The mortgages on my properties, their associated utilities and all of my banking are done on-line through Bank of America. They hold my mortgages, so the on-line banking is free.

Anything that needs my signature can be faxed to me and faxed back,

Whenever I return to the States, I have a neat little pile of mail, bank statements, utility bills, etc. No need to have anything mailed to me (yet).

Archived