Getting mail from USA.....too risky?

june11

The only problem I have had ws with the US Global Priority and that was even to a Bangkok address. I did send out a FedEx Priority letter on 5/21 and the letter was received on 5/27. Not the next day air they promissed. Cost of $37

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use USPS global Priority for checks and important documents 2 or 3 times per month and have very little problems. Occasionally, as in earlier this month when there were 3 holidays in one week, there is a significant delay. when counting the days don't forget that when it starts out in the US it is already 1 day behind because of the time difference. I always figure 5 - 7 days for delivery, occasionally longer. It has always gotten here...just a little slow sometimes.

For USPS Global Priority, my stuff is mailed every Tuesday, mid-morning (US East coast time). 9 out of 10 times it arrives the following Monday afternoon (BKK time). If it does not arrive on Monday (other than the 1 time it was held for about a week), it always comes on Tuesday.

I have an UPS mailbox in the States. My cousin checks my mail for me. Each month he mails prescription medications and any mail he feels I should review. He uses USPO

Global Express. I've never had a problem. Receiving 'regular' mail also has never been a problem.

The very first time my cousin sent medications, he sent them via UPS ... what a mistake. Package was intercepted & I had to pay a bribe (5000 Bt deposited into someone's bank account - Thai Food & Drug) ... an employee for UPS in BKK advised me to use USPO Global Express ... like I said, I never had a problem ... just one oddity: sometimes (not all the time) I'll have to pay a duty on the meds ... never in BKK, but it happens at PO in Pattaya (sometimes!).

I have always used regular airmail from the US Post Office and can almost count on one week elapsed time from the US west coast to Bangkok (excl. holidays). Cost is usually $1 per letter and have never "lost" anything yet. Wonder if the extra cost to ship via fedex, UPS etc is worth the money?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling the long delay was caused by the mail going

to NYC first, since NYC has very similar postal ("zip") codes

as bangkok. What's the right way to send mail to thailand?

Should the very last line of the address be "Thailand",

or should it be the postal code (which is like NYC).

Here's what I did and maybe thats the problem: I wrote

".......... Bangkok Thailand 10900".

Maybe it should have been "......Bangkok 10900 THAILAND"

???????

The last line should always be the country when mailing internationally. I too have had mail routed to NYC because of the postal-code similarity. Dull-eyed, hypnotized mail workers just glance and see the last part is a number and drop it in the appropriate domestic bin. I always put country last, on its own line, and underline it.

Archived