Getting mail from USA.....too risky?

june11

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have all my US mail go to a family member's house in the US. Once a week, the mail gets sent out to me here, using the US Postal Service, some type of "Express" service. Takes about 4 business days to get to my house in BKK, at a cost of $9.50. The Envelope is about 9" x 12" (?) and 8.5 x 11 material fits nicely. I think you can put up to 2 pounds in the package, and I use that to full advantage. I get magazines, letters, and even stuff purchased in the US that would get hit with a duty if I had it shipped here directly. My contact in the US makes sure that those items are slipped into a magazine or something similar so it's less likely to raise suspicion. You'd be surprised as to some of the items I've had sent out in this manner. Maybe 1/4 packages get opened in Customs, but in the 5 years or so that I've had this done, nothing has been held.

You can PM for more specifics.

• 2 months later...

USPS Global Priority: NEVER AGAIN!!. It just took 15 days

to get to thailand from USA.....to a reliable Thailand address

with clear printing on the envelope (flat rate $9). I was convinced it was lost after a week, but now I'm glad i got it....but from now on, it's UPS or USPS-Global Express...both of which are trackable.

Interesting... as I've never had a problem. For the first year or so, I used Fedex to send to a business address in Thailand, and I do not remember anything ever being held up.

In the 3 -4 years that I've been using the USPS to a home address in Thailand, I've only had one package held, and that was for a week to 10 days. About 6 months ago.

Maybe I've just been lucky. Or maybe it has something to do with the destination address? I really don't know.

Archived