England's strikers for Euro '04

Zaad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the trouble is that England do not have any World class strikers anymore.

i hate Shearer but must admit i would like to see him in the Team for one last Tournament,he is class up front.

Heskey is a waste of space and Vassell just does not quite do it for me,but he may be one for the future.

Sheringhams best days are gone and never an out and out striker really.

i voted for Beattie as i think he has potential but has never been given a chance really IMHO.

i always feel that every chance he has been given he has disappointed Sven by not scoring a Hat-Trick and thereby discarded for a while.

Owen has not been the same for a couple of Years and is certainly not the top striker in England anymore.

i've always thought that International Teams should play strikers from the same Club if possible,but these days it is very difficult with so many Nations supplying Players to so many Teams throughtout the World.

Hi Sayjann,

voted the same as you, without looking at your comment.

Shearer is pure 100% CLASS, DEEP BOW :bow: and hats off to this man.

Beattie is the only one that can make an impression, given the chance I think.

Heskey is a watse of space indeed, Owen not consistent, Sherinham too old, Rooney too ugly and too hotheaded without the quality and consitsency needed, Vassell, maybe??, Cole too old, Smith is not in prison?

It's piss poor for the English unfortunately I'm afraid.

Rooney too ugly and Smith is not in prison?

haha Thanks for the laugh. :grinyes:

I guess I know what you mean.

IMO the 'best' boys at the moment are Shearer, Beattie and...Owen. I would bring those three and use the best 2 whomever is in form at that very moment. Heskey is definitely a no-go :nono:

As for Rooney, he has still A LOT to learn, maybe a guy for the future. Same for Smith..could do much better if gone to another club.

I don't see England as a favorite for the title in Portugal.

Sheringham? :dunno:Sheringham? :dunno: ROTFL...

You didn't mention Defoe, who's already better than most of the other choices. I'd also consider using Scholes as an auxiliary striker (we may as well try to put all our most talented players on the pitch and this lets us use our strength: midfield). Owen's a cert, Rooney for the unexpected and Smith or Heskey for aerial power and strength. So, er, two from those four strikers and one midfielder.

Going against the nostalgia, I have to say I'm dead-set against Shearer. Good fantasy footballer though he is, Shearer would be a gigantic step back for the England team. In fact he was already a step back as far as 4 years ago. I remember the Euro 2000 match against Germany when, one-nil up, he started wasting time when Beckham was trying to launch an attack. It was so depressingly negative - as if the best he thought England should possibly aim for against a shite German team was a 1-0 hold-on. Beckham just looked at him like "what the fuck? we're better than this!" (I think he actually screamed at him). It was the attitude of Beckham and the young guns that got England the glorious 5-1 victory the next year. Can you imagine what would have happened had Shearer been there? We'd have stopped at 2...

Bibblies,

Yes, Defoe is a good one. I wasn't sure about his nationality which is the reason I left him out. That's good news for the English camp. :up:

Scholes has been used as a striker before (by Fergie) but I believe he plays best as an attacking midfielder. Steven Gerrard would IMO be the best man behind him as a defensive midfielder.

Another thing that I noticed is that in general teams don't not get the results with good (tactical) play only anymore. They must work their asses off as well. Lots of 'lesser' (national) teams work tremendously hard to get results against stronger and more skillful teams with quality players. If those supposedly better teams don't work their butts off as well then they'll fail to get the needed results.

IMO the 'weaker' clubs and nations have slowly narrowed the gap between themselves and the top. However, competitions are long, consisting of 30+ games a season which is why the gap between weak and strong is still clearly noticable.

But tournaments, 5-7 games or so, watch out, the weak teams need only a few good games to place themselves above the rest. See WC 2002.

bibblies said:

Sheringham? :dunno:Sheringham? :dunno: ROTFL...

Going against the nostalgia, I have to say I'm dead-set against Shearer. Good fantasy footballer though he is, Shearer would be a gigantic step back for the England team. In fact he was already a step back as far as 4 years ago.

Agree with Bibblies.

Shearer and Teddy have had their chances. Give youth a try.

Owen will get picked for sure but he does blow a lot of chances. (No point running like the wind if you smell like it!) :grinyes:

Beattie deserves a chance and Rooney can be designated super sub.

On a slightly different topic, I see fearless FIFA's done another about-face and the Aussies only need to beat Brazil, Argentina or some other shit South American team to qualify for the next World Cup. Thanks Lads. :bow:

Come on Mr. Walker, surely CONCACAF deserves another spot. :banghead::rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

The 4 England strikers for Euro 2004 are known: Owen, Heskey, Vassell and Rooney.

No Shearer as most of us hoped for according to the stats but Heskey and Vassell both with 0! votes.

I personally don't think England's got what it takes to win this tournament coming summer unless luck is on their side.

Heskey: CRAP!

Vassell: Good pace but lacks quality.

Owen: Excellent, but out of form for quite some years.

Rooney: Way too inexperienced, might be considered as a preparation for the big games. He's good but really needs to go to a bigger club and play more international games to fully develop into a national squad player.

Doesn't deserve a sniff in this tournament yet. Too green.

Archived