England's strikers for Euro '04

Zaad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the Lampard experiment did not work against Japan.

fuck me,if we can't beat Japan what chance winning Euro 2004?.

i said Lampard is too attacking and it showed tonight.

more than once he was the furthest England Player forward.

fantastic play when no-one gives the ball to him and Zidane and Vieria are 40 Yards upfield with an open field to have a good time.

Sven has no idea.......i wish he would fuck off to Chelsea and ruin their next few Seasons.

i watched the game and noticed Terry was often further upfield then Owen.

i can see us scoring many Goals if that continues......

Butt against the likes of Vieira and Makelele? Lampard is your man. The team won't play the same against France as it did v. Japan. Its a friendly. Different mindset. Lampard knows better than to be caught too forward against a team like France. No way he or Terry would be that far forward. England knew or thought they knew they were much better than Japan so they came forward more.

Lampard will keep the French honest in midfield. They will be well aware of his ability to counter. With Butt they don't have that fear. Keeping Butt in is telling Santini, we'll defend. With Lamps you're saying we're not afraid to go forward. He can defend when he has to.

Vieria and Makelele play in the PL, they respect Lampard and Gerrard. They don't have the same respect for Butt.

It will be a good game. I am a true neutral on this one. I love the EPL and cheer for England in international play after the U.S. but half my club's players are on the French side, so I am just hoping for a good game and pray Henry, Vieira, Sol and Ash Cole or Pires don't get hurt.

Haven't seen it yet but I never place any importance on England friendlies. We couldn't give a fuck in friendlies anymore, could we? They're all just trying not to get injured. (Reminds me - we've just one more game to slip the opposition some money to knobble Vassell ::)

France only beat Andorra 4-0 in their last friendly. Which doesn't sound too bad until you consider Andorra's about as big as my arse...

At least France did the sensible thing in taking extra strikers instead of unnecessary defenders though.

Having seen it, Owen looked very sharp, Terry and Gerrard were alright and Lampard was OK too. The main trouble (apart from the usual friendly mentality of not being bothered to defend properly) was lack of quick support to the attack. Sometimes watching England is like watching Liverpool in that respect and that's why I like having the extra attacking midfielder.

I'd rather drop the sacred cow, Beckham, than Lampard. He's far less mobile and doesn't seem to offer much these days. Doesn't even seem to score from free kicks anymore and we happen to have pretty good alternatives now. Wouldn't blanche at dropping Scholes either, actually. He's a defensive liability.

How about a midfield of Gerrard, Lampard, Hargreaves and Joe Cole? That'd work - they're young, creative, faster and in better form than the oldies.

Portugal had that great youth side in the early '90s,

Portugal's youth has achieved a lot more than the big boys. Winning European and World cups in several ategories (sub21, sub19, ..)

Something seems to fuck up with the step to the highest level. They certainly have had the needed talent.

I have always blamed it on the wine. The Portuguese drink too much of it :)

Zaad said:I have always blamed it on the wine. The Portuguese drink too much of it...

You could have a point there, chief. :applause: Alcohol has certainly played havoc with my life, ruined my relationships with women, and sent myself and those around me into misery and despair. :beer:

I'm no worse at football now than I was at school though. ;) Not that I get to kick a ball round the park much these days. :drunk: :hubba:

jack :help:

bibblies said:

We want glory and belief - fearless players like Rooney and Defoe who don't, in their heart of hearts, think we're not really good enough to win the whole thing. We want the fearless 5-1 of Germany-England again.

Nah, fuckit. Come out with an ultra-attacking line-up to show we're not afraid of them. They'll have to defend against us, don't forget.

I'm with you Bibblies, enough of this 'too afraid of losing to win' crap. Somehow, I can't see France ending the game goalless. Banish the team of all negative factors, be they mental or physical, and have a little belief in yourselves.

Worked alright for Germany last World Cup.

Archived