England's strikers for Euro '04

Zaad

Sherringscum? The poll's quality is definitely in question if you put that old, slow tosser in the poll. I like Defoe. I'd use him and Owen interchangeably. I like Rooney as well. Beattie deserves a chance (why was he used so sparingly at Soton this year?).

I think Shearer would still be good but the national team has to build for the future and this would be his last tournament if he was used as he'd be way too old for the world cup. So why use him? Owen is hot and cold. Heskey doesn't deserve a mention.

Rooney and Defoe are the future. Owen and Rooney to start, Defoe to come in if Owen is not playing well. Beattie or Vassell if Rooney is not playing well or his temper is getting out of control.

The real problem for England I think is not so much strikers but the left side of the pitch. Specifically left attacking midfield. Ash Cole looks good for Arsenal but seems lost in the diamond and not sure what to do and is left exposed a lot to counters on his own. England needs a good left footed winger or even a right footed winger with two good feet who can play there.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CS,

Don't mention the poll's quality, MISTER, I only put him in there because I question the knowledge and expertise of the voters (including you) :neener:

I'm surprised Eriksson chose Heskey over Defoe. Heskey has had his chances already and not proven himself. Defoe should be next in line.

I have never liked Eriksson and his choices and playstyle. IMO lacks quality to coach big clubs or nations.

I don't rate Sven as well. England seems too timid and conservative on the national team but the league the players are in are the opposite. I think its a bad strategy to have them play in a style and speed they are not accustomed to.

Sheringham now is a victory cigar you put in at the end of the game when the outcome has already been decided...LOL. Shearer would give England its best chance to win Euro '04, but like you said, they need to develop their young players for the future.

I'd have to go for Paul 'Wifebeater' Gascoigne :drunk: alongside Malcolm 'Supermac' MacDonald :bow: being barrel-chested and hairy in the 6 yard box. With ex-Stokie Alan 'Loverboy' Hudson :hubba: on the bench and at the bar :beer:. :up:

They'd each do as well as fucking Aimless Heskey. :doah:

jack :help:

I thought again about Shearer being the first team striker with Owen. Why not? Zidane and Figo are going to play for their respective national teams in Euro '04, and like Shearer, they are going to be too old to play in the next World Cup.

There are a number of countries who relied on aging stars in the short term then it took them years to get back to prominence because no youth were brought through.

Its the same with clubs.

Portugal had that great youth side in the early '90s, the one with Figo. Had they not done it, they may not have qualified later on for the WC and done okay in other competitions. What would have happened had a 16 y.o. Pele, 18 y.o. Owen, etc. not had their chances early to develop internationally?

Belem said:

I thought again about Shearer being the first team striker with Owen. Why not? Zidane and Figo are going to play for their respective national teams in Euro '04, and like Shearer, they are going to be too old to play in the next World Cup.

Because Shearer's a negative fucking cunt. 1-0 up against France with a gloriously flowing move sweeping forward and all the English thinking, "WE CAN DO THIS! WE CAN ACTUALLY DO THIS!", he'd fucking hold it up and dribble it to the corner flag and bring us back down to Earth.

We want glory and belief - fearless players like Rooney and Defoe who don't, in their heart of hearts, think we're not really good enough to win the whole thing. We want the fearless 5-1 of Germany-England again.

Don't want to go off on a tangent from talking about strikers, but I was thinking about midfielders Lampard and Joe Cole being first team over Scholes and Butt. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Chelsea fan.:grinyes:Lampard, especially, deserves the nod.

not saying this because i support MU but i think Butt needs to start against France.

Butt is a defensive Midfielder and will be needed to try and nullify the threat of Vieira.

he will need to be marked closely and Scholes,Beckham,Gerrard and Lampard are naturally forward going Players.

they will not be up to the job and i think if the 4 of them played then France will destroy England in Midfield.

Archived