Siams' CM@ nightclub raided and busted

but wherever i go i do carry an official ID issued by the authorities around.
Out of curiosity what ID card is this?

I have a permanent Thai drivers license, but I doubt that would be sufficient. The friend who was at the CM2 said US drivers licenses and other national ID cards (the US does not have a national ID card system) were not sufficient. Passports or cash only.

Because of my PR status, I also have a blue "Certificate of Residence" and the red book issued by the police station covering my official place of residence, but those are even larger and more cumbersome than my passport. If I have to keep these documents in my immediate possession at all times (and officially I think I do), it will be like having to carry a small librairy around with me everytime I leave the house.

Maybe I will buy purse when I go out at night. I'll need one if these arcane regulations are actually enforced to the letter.

it can be a lot worse if that are actually coppers who are out for promotions and such, and are into using the law to the extreme. than the ones who tested positive might actually be put on the blacklist.
Yes, it will be worse for those caught with drugs. Certainly worse than having to carry a purse when you go out at night. ::

You are right when you say there are worst things going on in Thailand, but this is worth complaining about here because (a) it affects farangs who visit and live here (that is, the vast majority of people on this board) and (B) it is one of the parts of a larger overall pattern we have seen for the past several years that visitors are most likely to encounter. It won't be good for tourism.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>Out of curiosity what ID card is this?<<<

curiosity kills the cat... ;)

it's fortunately small enough to be carried in a slightly larger wallet, but i would prefer it still a bit smaller.

>>>You are right when you say there are worst things going on in Thailand, but this is worth complaining about here because (a) it affects farangs who visit and live here (that is, the vast majority of people on this board) and (B) it is one of the parts of a larger overall pattern we have seen for the past several years that visitors are most likely to encounter. It won't be good for tourism. <<<

don't get me wrong here - i find that piss testing absolutely outrageous, and if caught up in such a raid i would have serious difficulties to keep my temper. i am uttely pissed off with the way the present situation here in thailand develops.

last year i was walking down some darker soi, just minding my own business when two coppers on a bike just drove up and cut me off. they asked very impolitely to identify myself, which i complied with. but when that one cooper got off and started searching me i did blow my nut. i told him what the fuck he thinks he is doing, that i simply refuse to be searched in a dark alley, that if he wants to search me he better carries me to the policestation to do that there, and if does not want to risk being transferred to nakhon nowhere he better stops touching me up right now.

i guess they were not expecting that, when they pissed off (not having searched me) they asked where i think i was going. i told them that it was none of their fucking business, that so far this is a free country.

unfortunately most people here, especially the vast majority of thais, have no way to defend themselves against such intrusions. they are absolutely terrified when faced with such situations.

i really wonder when the government finally starts cleaning up the police. pay them double of what they get now (the starting salary of a copper is only 5000 baht, and he has to buy gun, uniforms, radio etc. from that miserable salary), after that makes them accountable for transgressions such as corruption. how does anyone not expect coppers to be corrupt when they have to make ends meet with less cash than a taxidriver makes, but have an extremely dangerous job?

Before planning a trip to Bangkok, I check this site for the latest news. And for about the last year and half, everytime I check, it is more bad news.

Let me get this picture straight. The police raid CM2, a disco in a reputable hotel, close the disco, force 300 foreignors to submit to drug tests just because they happen to be in the disco, detain those who don't have their passports - my guess, about 299 of the 300 - and basically every foreignor (except for maybe 1 out of the 300) in the place has to pay the police to leave the place. Is this right?

Sounds like a f**king nightmare. With this kind of stuff going on, who the hell will want to visit Thailand? I certainly won't, and I doubt if any of my friends will either. Sounds like the place is turning into a police state.

This is certainly annoying, afaik there´s an official regulation that you have to carry your passport at all times, thus the one could you argue that a foreigner nor carrying a passport is breaking the law anf thus is eligible to pay a fine. Still loosing your passport is a bloody nightmare and can mean that you will spend the better part of your vacation at your embassy.

it is not turning in a police state , it is just ordinary working people ttrying to make extra money

there are some horror story about policemen tricks

Reading the many posts of outrage, it is amazing how some view LOS as such an adult playground equivalnet to Disneyland, that they forget the type of government and law enforcement that exists there. The country is not Europe or America.

All of that nightlife fun that many here enjoy comes at a price. The high price of corruption at all levels of society, human rights violations, a crappy educational system, inadequate opportunities to improve life; allow for the male catered redlight scene that exists. So you may have to carry some ID(why would one want to do that in a foreign country?) and maybe piss in a cup pay a bribe to a cop or two(I agree that sucks but shit happens).

Prostitution and drugs in Thailand are technically illegal as I am sure most here know.

Archived