Anyone in for a quiz about Issarn?

Pescator

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

11, pretty crap all round regardless of my mrs being a bkk gal--part Thai part Mon (20 questions on Mon pottery and I'll win, perhaps) but my bro in law has a Chinese gf--seems my inlaws including my mrs like to explore cultures!

I think Suadum meant "Lao gal guide", not local guide :D.

But you are right. 2 years ago, i drove some of the Gf family to Phimai, 60kms from her village. her old uncle Yao, the wise guy in the neighborood, 60+, was really excited to go. he ahd nevr been there before.

Unless with a middle-class acquired taste, like us, thais may "pilgrim" their day to a regional wat fair, but they have little idea in understanding "unfocussed tourism", where you are just happy to visit here and there, and get a feel of a region or a town. Bless them, but a day trip that happened without spending at least half of the time eating or picknicking is not sanook!

Hi OH,

There are several versions of Som Tham, but the version with peanuts and dried shrimp is not called Som Tham, but Tham Thai.

I can imagine that many vendors will automatically assume that when a farang orders papaya salad he prefers the version without the ever so delicious Pla Rah - fermented fish - and Poo Dorng - pickled craps. The Tham Thai version doesn`t include these delicacies. :p

I always specifically order Tham Thai as I am not really into the culinarily challenging fish/crap concoction. :o

Just checked with the missus to make sure (she agrees with me for once) and with her being a major Som Tham addict, her opinion should carry some weight here. :)

By the way I recall that this was discussed on the Food section on this board a couple of months ago too.

And the general consensus was - I prefer to recall :: -that peanuts are not part of Som Tham.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi Zaad,

Wow, rather impressive, give her my compliments :)

I know she is a native thai, but Thailand sure is a large country.

As a matter of fact I am embarrased to admit just how little I know about my own country although it is only the size of a major thai Jangwat.

Seems like the grass is always greener.... :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi Elef,

You are right. The vast majority of issarn gals speak lao, but there are a number of dialects.

Putai, Lao, Khmer etc.

Khmer (pronounced Kamen by the thais) is typically spoken in the provinces bordering Cambo, especially upcountry.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived