Best location for cross cultural relationship?

chilli13

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, based on my experience, the best place to develop a cross-cultural relationship is to live together somewhere you both are foreigners. In other words, living somewhere not in Thailand and not your home country.

It is not easy for either of you, and forces you to communicate and work together to survive.

So my advice is get a job on a couple of years overseas assignment.

TH

OUtstanding question. Just some of the questions that I am asking myself.

SO far I have come up with Places like KL, Singapore, BKK with their asian cultures and places to find work.

But I had a Canadian friend who was living in BKK with his taiwanese fiancee. One of the problems that they had is that they were living in a country where neither of them could speak the language, had no rights as citizens and had no family. Might be something to think about!

"they were living in a country where neither of them could speak the language, had no rights as citizens and had no family. "

We have been doing this for going on 5 years now (except for a while in Thailand) and it is one of the things that bind us together. :beer:

TH

Hi ib13,

My post is just based on my own experience and not commenting on anyone else's - we're all different after all.

I have had a long-term relationship with 2 Thai girls (both GTG's), one in Thailand and one in Australia.

I believe that culturally, having a relationship in Thailand was miles better than the one in Farangland. Don't get me wrong - I am very happy in my current relationship - but my gf here in Australia is at uni and moving back to LOS at the end of the year, and so am I. :applause:

There are so many societies, cultures and countries that are similar in Farangland: Western Europe, Australia, America, New Zealand, USA, UK, Scandinavia etc. etc., but Thailand is a very unique place with very unique people. Even traveling to so-called 'similar' Buddhist countries in the region - Laos, Vietnam, parts of India/Sri Lanka etc.etc., you notice huge differences between the countries culturally, gastronomically, etc.

Thai people are so patriotic, and love their country so much. Not many countries in Farangland have their sense of patriotism and love of their country. Not to the same degree anyway - just look at the amount of calendars of the Royal Family in shops and houses, and the number of Thai flags outside buildings and homes...

These days in Thailand, it is very easy to find "western-ness" (for want of a better term), in places like BKK, Samui, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya etc. etc. Which means it is quite easy for us to adapt, and have a little taste of "home" occaisionally.

For Thais in Farangland, this "little taste of home" is much harder to find. There isn't a Buddhist temple down the street, there isn't a noodle stall on every street corner, and Thais are so used to foreigners now that they don't query us as to how we act or our western way of life. They just let us get on with our life and do what we do in our "western-type" ways. Asian people and their customs are sometimes treated with suspicion, and unfortunately, even racism and complete lack of understanding, here in Farangland. :(

Therefore, I think it is much easier for us to adapt to life in LOS than it is for Thais to adapt to life in farangland.

Another point, Thai's IMHO are much more family-orientated than we are in the west for the most part. Being isolated from family is a huge issue for most Thai's abroad from their homeland.

The Thais I know in Australia, and Thais I have talked to in Thailand who have been overseas, all say that westerners in Farangland are generally not friendly and brusque and rude to them. We all comment, and know from personal experience how, (generally), wonderful and friendly Thai people are, and how cold and suspicious we can be in the west. (Can you imagine a form of public transport in Thailand with 80 people on it, sitting in complete silence like my ride to work is here in Australia??? If you talk to someone casually on the London tube or the train in Sydney you are instantly classified as a loony, where as Thais will talk to anyone sitting next to them on a train or a bus).

So for me, I think it is much better for a cross-cultural relationship between a farang and a Thai to be based in Thailand. Thai people just seem so much happier there to me. Again, not saying its like this for all Thais... only the ones I know.

Just my 2 baht's worth, but hope it gives you some thoughts.

Good luck.

Fly P. :up:

Guest lazyphil

<<We have been doing this for going on 5 years now (except for a while in Thailand) and it is one of the things that bind us together :beer:>>

Under certain circumstances this is fine but try doing this with a young child and both working full time--without my family it would be impossible :down:

Archived