8000Baht for Electricity in Boss tower ?

I have just one quick question, regarding boss tower.

My friend has stay couple of months in Jasmin serviced apartments and he was paying between 1000-2000Baht per month for electric,

his AC was on. appx: 5-7h per day

and bill for water was appx: 200-400Baht month .

now he is staying alone at boss tower in studio room, he has his own microwave and he is using aircond 5-7h per day

and he told me that his bill for electricity is now 8000Baht per month , If he would use aircond 12h per day, I assume

bill for electric would be higher then rent for apartment, bill for water is 100Baht per month.

I am using aircond. in my apartment more then 10h per day and bill is always around 2500Baht.

does anyone from this board, stay in boss tower and why is electric there soo expensive ?

Hi slovak,

I don't know anything about Boss Tower (where is it?) but many landlords charge their own rate for electricity - generally more than the true cost from the power company. The rate should be part of the tenancy agreement.

8,000 baht for a studio seems like an awful lot, though.

Khwai

>his bill for electricity is now 8000Baht per month

Electricity is 2 or 2.7b per unit.

Buildings do their markup, so it's usually 5b per unit. Could be higher, don't know.

8K is a lot, if he had number of units multiplied by unit price up to that, then he's been charged by the building. I doubt they jacked up his meter.

I think the highest bill for a studio I had was 3500 and it was for April.

To KMS: Boss Tower is on Rama 4, going from Khlongtoey shopping centre (Lotus, Tesco) towards Sukhumvit, about 500-600m from there, if that.

As everyone said, need to check what rate they are charging. At my townhouse, direct billed by the electric company, my highest bill was ~B8500 last hot season. But that is for a 5BR/5BA 4.5 storey townhouse with two aircons running 7-9 hours and one maybe 2-3 hours and 5 people living there. FYI, cool season is about B4000/mo.

Water is consistant at B450-500/month.

Cheers,

SD

Don't think you need to check the rate. If it's the first month, then when you moved in, maybe someone wrote down the wrong initial meter reading.

Otherwise it's the air conditioner and refrigerator. I used to live at Boss Tower and my electricity fluctuated between 800 and 2,000. From your friend's usage, he should be closer to thw 2,000 mark. I remember when I defrosted my refrigerator that knocked 400 baht off my electricity bill. I have another friend who replaced his AC and that knocked several thousand off his bill. I'd ask for these things to be checked. That's not a normal electricity bill, especially for a studio.

<<burp>>

Not much I can add other than my g/f lives in a studio with no kitchen. Has TV, radio, fan, and split air con, but she does not use air con unless really needed. Her electric and water comes to around 500 baht/month total. A stove and clothes dryer will use the most, due to large heating elements. Air con and refer are the other two big drains. Unless using these items on a constant basis, I cannot imagine it. Well, unless they iron clothes for a living, and have that turned on 18 hours a day, also. :dunno:

HT

He told them to check electricity counter and AC, everything was fine.

reception told him that normal bill if he uses aircondition 5-7h every day is 6000Baht

but she added that he has microwave soo this has make bill higher.

"maybe someone wrote down the wrong initial meter reading"

it could be.

he has pay the bill and moved out in same day.

• 2 weeks later...

8,000 baht for electricity sounds very high to me. I live in a 2 room apartment with separate A/C and meters located in each room. I use the A/c an average of 4-5 hours per day and at 5 baht per unit, my bills for 2 months have been 1,500 - 2,000 each month. When I had a one room studio on Soi 15, the monthly bill was between 1,000-1,500 baht per month.

I pay a fixed rate of 500 baht per month for water usage.

When I moved into the newest apartment, I wrote down the meter readings on my first day, to avoid a surprise come bill time. Wonder if it would do any good to ask for the meter readings billed to the prior tenant?

Wow, thats a lot and I believe they try to make some extra money on him. Tell him to ask for the correct readings from the electricity counter. Guess, they cheat him on that. We live in the house and have the aircon on most of times, using 2 fridges and a freezer, TVs etc. We never have more than 1700 THB. During the cool season we spent less than a 1000THB. Hope this will help. Cheers

Archived