Intresting things to do around BKK (1-2 hrs drive)

dsab

Hey Guys,

me and my wife are regularly taking the car at the weekends, and try to explore the Sites/Landscape/Natural Beauties/Markets/Towns etc. around Bangkok. It should be within a 2 hours drive of BKK.

We seem to run out of ideas. Do you have any recommendations or discoveries? Maybe some of them are still unknown to us...

Cheers,

Daniel

autthaya about an hour north only with some luck ;)

if you need something a bit more local try chang erawan museum down sukhumvit rd way past bangna & imperial world mall. a nice river bank seafood restaurent a little further out at paknam.

or how about dusit zoo!

sanam luan picknick?

or simply give the fucking traffic a rest & take a river/klong cruise ;)

If going to Dusit Zoo, walk around the corner and go to Vimonmek, the Teak Palace of Rama 5 (Chulalonkorn). A lot to do there! Also, River Kwai, a bit further, maybe 2-3 hours, but an easy day trip, go early! Wat Arun across from Grand Palace...River/Klong tour (still have to do that)...Khao Yai national park is also supposed to be good! So much to do, so little time!

Guest lazyphil

Koh Kret at Pakkret, Nonthaburi has a great weekend market and some nice river side restaurants a nice temple and interesting museum. 2 baht ferry to get to. Well worth a trip!

Actually Mr Nanaplaza, the suggestions here would make a good permanet record for your site.

Bangkok, once your finished banging, can be a bit boring for a lot of tourist's, especialy in the day time, so why not have a palce where you can see recommendations?

I live here and have been interested in this topic for a long time.

One thing I like to do, found it from the Nancy Chandler map, is to take the small guage train down to the fishing viallge, cant remember the name, great trip

JB

[color:"red"] Within a few hours drive[/color]

Kanchanburi (burma thai railway museum, erawan falls etc) is a must

Train ride up to ayutahaya

Ancient city ( muang boran ) is excellent.

Trip to samut prakan and the seafood restaurants on the gulf. River boat cruise (tourist ferry) up the chapaya river,

Walk through rama 9 park ( behind seacon square),

Walk From Ko san road to the river in the old section ( stop at the fort for a bite to eat), take the klong ferry from Bangklumpoo to the world trade.

Get on the BTS and just tour for the day ( 40 mins max per trip allowed), Drinks and food at the night bazaar.

Of course JJ market is interesting as well as the specialized shopping. (pantip, Klong ton market are very interesting for most of my friends),

Most golf courses in the north of the city rent clubs for 500B . Worth playing 9 holes.

Lopburi is also excellent with the monkey temple( Prang sam yot ) and the old Kingdom's palaces

Tallest Buddhist monument in the world at Phra Pathom Chedi in Nakhon Pathom is ok but not much else inthe town

Massage at Tha Pak Kret school of the blind on Ko Kret ( the island like thing in the chaopraya river

[color:"red"] For me in order of must do: [/color]

1. Kanchaburi's history - bridge, cemetary, hells fire pass and thai-burma railway M.

2. Muang Boran (ancient city) at samut prakan

3. Lopburi with the monkeys and palace

4. train ride to ayuttahaya

5. JJ, Klong ton market and Pantip

[color:"red"]Places to advoid [/color] - Sri ratcha tiger zoo, China town,(unless in Nov. vegatarian fest.) Ratchaburi floating market, Dusit zoo, dreamworld, patpong market, pratumwan market ( unless you want clothes)

• 5 weeks later...

Oh please put China Town back on the list to see. One places that amazes me there is a restaurant that is beautiful on the outside as it is in the inside. They have near the window a display case of the tastier treats. Each time I have been there, I only see well dressed thai women. The delicasy - its the balls of a large animal - probably cows or water buffalloes.

Has anybody ate there yet?

Archived