EURO 2004

Zaad

but football lost IMO.

-----------------------

Why? Football cups are often won by the same teams, or favorites (portugal was one of them) or home teams. I find this Cinderella refreshing, and it was won on the field.

Ever since Cameroon's first upset win years ago, we've had promises of hierarchy trembling, and finally today, an "also ran" won. Good for sport and good for football, IMO.

This on the heel of a russian upsurge in women's tennis, it is cause to celebrate.

BTW, Russia was by far the greatest team, this euro: they beat Greece :D:D :D.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only have one comment on the outcome, and it stems from the wild scenes which graced our TV screens when I awoke this morning. Thousands upon thousands of screaming fans draped in Greek flags, singing and dancing wildly amidst the euphoria of their team's victory. Fair enough, I thought - this must be Athens in the grip of patriotic fervour.

No, gentle viewer, it was Melbourne, right here in Oz. My confusion lies in the fact that so many people who love Greece so passionately relocated to the furthest possible (inhabited) point at the other end of the globe ! Christchurch is further away, but even the Greeks aren?t *that* silly (they do enjoy lamb, tho ?..)

Lets hope that we see some footage of a few Greeks who actually live in Greece during the Athens olympics.

Greece deserving winners tonight. Portugal were poor I thought. They never stepped up the pace until Rui Costa came on when they were behind. I do not know what Ricardo was doing for the goal, and Deco was dreadful. Greece were very solid in defence, worked very hard, and gave the feeling if they went ahead they would win it. For them a fairytale but I felt the Danish fairytale in 1992 was a much happier one.

Congrats to FlyP for winning the predicions league, he was pretty close to getting the final right as well.

I can not be happy about Greece winning. They have been boring to watch. I fear that it will be a change towards more negative tactics by countries after this. Portugal have done well, they have never been in a final before. Those disappointed by their performance in the final should remember that they are just one of many who never managed to break down the Greeks.

Cheers!

League Table

[color:"red"]1. FlyPapillon __________________87[/color]

2. Check_bin_krap___________82

3. Roppongi ________________74

4. BelgianBoy_______________72

5. Zaad____________________70

6. Fiery Jack________________70

7. Sayjann _________________66

8. Pattaya127_______________62

9. Kman ___________________60

10. Bhat_Man_______________59

10. Limbo __________________59

12. Lisbonboy_______________57

13. Man at Work_____________54

14. Torneyboy ______________53

15. Chelseafan______________51

16. Pom Michael_____________49

17. Peckieboy_______________49

18. Racha __________________47

Congratulations FlyPapillon!!!!!!!!

You won yourself a *1 year nana membership to the paysite*.

I will PM KS for a meeting (probably Friday, 9 July) and will pay him your prize. Once the payment is completed I'll inform you by PM and then you need to discuss about the details (username/password) with KS yourself.

It was fun organizing and I thank all the participants for joining.

Cheers guys!

FlyPapillon said:

Thanks Zaad - and a big thanks for organising it! Must have taken a fair amount of work! :bow:

And thanks for your good wishes, CBK! :beer:

Beers are on me for both of you when I get back to LOS!

FlyP

Same from me! Great stuff, enjoyed it! And at least I am not the last one :-))

Thanks again Maw

Yes, Thanks Zaad for having the planet football alive on the board for 3 weeks with a fun game (that, if based on clear view of team's strentghs and previous game analysis, i shouda won :cover: , but as you just saw, the best don't always win :(....). No other sport can bring us up like that, so let's wait patiently for 2006.

If FlyP wins again, I will do a Pete Townsend on him with his "tao hua nguu" guitar! :D

hopefully we will not have to wait until 2006.

below is a Competition which Bhat_Man started last Season.

'In an effort to avoid those irritable and temperemental mood changes I wondered if anybody fancied trying out the Pompey Prediction Game.

I only chose Pompey as they are newly promoted and I haven't got a fucking clue about them except that Alan Ball used to be the manager there.

The whole idea of the competition is to predict Portsmouth's scores for the coming season'

i think it was decided this would be fun if we done it each Season with the Div 1 Champions?.

Norwich for the coming Season i think.......?

are we going to have another bit of fun with this?,after all 38 Matches is much more of a slog.

i'm in for 1.....

and don't forget we will have the PL and CL Competions to look forward to.

Archived