Best Farang Food In Asia

MooNoi

elef said:

Hi,

Sizzler is IMO expensive and not so good food.

My 2 farang food favourite restaurants in BKK are both near soi 23.

Old Dutch - soi 23 end of Soi Cowboy. A big cheese schnitzel for 100 baht!

Chokchai Steak House 500 m north of Old Dutch - small soi between Soi 23 and Soi Asoke (21). Best T-bonesteak in Thailand!

:beer:

elef

Sounds good...wife does not eat beef ..have chicken/seafood as well...hate to get all the way down there and try and find another place..as i will be dying for some meat by then. :D

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the Old Dutch they also sell good Dutch food but really funny for Dutch, they sell Dutch fast food straight from a hole in the wall into Soi Cowboy. Excellent!!

Back to the thread, I'm more than happy with the quality of farang food on Samui, however, being the tourist resort it is, I can see I'm having a bit of an advantage over other guys who live in the LOS.

But in terms of excellence, Japan has it for me, I've had some of the best meals in my life in Tokyo.

Coss, I second that. Fly, I will assume you specifically left Japan off the choices because this country is heads and shoulders above its mainland Asian cousins. The Iron Chefs are very much alive whether the meal du jour is French, German, Spanish, Italian, etc. etc. Shit, the Thai food here is off the hook - no need to hop the 6 hour flight. And the Ronnie Mac's on Omotesando Dori blows away any McNugget served to me in the States. Japan has put the "fast" - and yummy - back in fast food - fer shure! :D

Fast food is for fleas!

I'll contact the Iron Chef producers, Dentsu and the TAT pronto to do this right.

I can see it up there in lights.

The Big Beef Challenge LIVE Asia Tour 2004

Angus vs. Kobe vs. Chonburi Buffalo

Day One: Casanova, Nana Plaza

Day Two: Star of Light, Pong

Day Three: Big Boys, Pattaya.

Tickets at the door or with every purchase of Pocari Sweat! :drunk:

The Iron Chefs are very much alive

UAL,

Is "The Iron Chef" a popular show in Japan? I got into here in Australia about 2 months ago and now it is my favourite show on the box. It's an absolute classic!

The US voice-overs for the commentators and the judges are hilarious!

Tomorrow I'm actually going to buy the "Iron Chef" book. At $43 its kind of steep, but its such a great show, and I'd like to learn more about the chefs on the show.

But in the introduction to the show, they always show "Iron Chef Italian", but I've never actually seen him challenged... does he really exist?

Some of the food they make on this show is amazing... not to mention the cute little Japanese actress who is often commentating and then one of the judges!!

And as for Chairman Kaga... what a nutcase! I love him! I'd love to walk into Rainbow I on no particular evening and see him wearing all his regalia, stand up, and shout: "I SUMMON THE IRON GOGO DANCERS!!!" (Now there's an idea for a show!!!)

Fly, as far as I know the 'Iron Chef' show died of rust here a few years back, and I say thank god.

Never seen the English version but the original version with Sakai san, Chin san etc, was over-hyped crap.

The MC (Chairman Kaga?) with his semi-long hair and Darth Vader outfit was a prize wanker -- (kyou no tema wa) Today's theme is, drum roll..., thousand gun salute... fireworks over the Rainbow Bridge... Egg Plant!!!

WOW!

Like sumo, too many rigged bouts.

I had the misfortune to be backstage a few times and on the odd occasion when the Great Iron Chef actually lost, tantrums would be thrown cursing the judges etc. Poofy Prats.

Save your money and buy the Mao of Mark and the Sukhumvit Silk Worms Do Dallas!

Fly - Iron Chef seems to have lost its luster here in ephemeral Tokyo. When I was living in the States, the program was fairly popular. Like you said, a significant part of the show?s appeal were the ?translated? comments by the guest panel. In the westernized version, the viewer could hear the spoken Japanese and English. The liberties the translators took with the idiosyncrasies of the languages was over-the-top - ?this dish of squid takes me back to my youth chasing butterflies in the sunny fields? ? yeah, right! If you do read the book ? something I intend to do someday ? please let me know what is told about these translators. Incidentally I recall seeing the book being sold at a deep discount when I was in the States last Christmas, 43 bucks sounds a bit steep. I generally save my bread for a more significant purchase. Roppongi-san?s suggestion of buying the authored works of MaoMark ? for example, The Old Tired Silkworm Spins its Suk ? is a great read. :shhh:

Thanks for the recommendations!

But remember that's $43.00 Australian. (About $33.00USD at the moment), but yes, still a bit steep! Still think I'll buy it though. Guess we're a bit behind here in Oz... a very popular show here with a "cult" following.

Fly,

I know food and wine well.

The time and money I spend on dinners and personal outings in great restaurants in the states rivals my yearly deposits in LOS. I know food, wine pairing, tastes and textures, sauces and flavor of choice ingredients pretty well! Regionally, as for the best western food it's to hard to say! The ingredients and chef play a major part in the production of taste and flavor as well as style and presentation...never rule out the environment as well.

When mixing western food with choice ingredients, Thai spices and a western chef you'll find unique combinations of taste, texture and flavor...One of my favorite restaurants is in Koh Samui called Bettlenut...The chef is western from San Fran and pairs food in a magical (and now his wife) way that results in excellent taste, flavor and presentation. Food and wine is an experience of the senses...well, good food and wine is! To the more developed palate one can taste the subtle array of flavor and distinctions of ingredients. This coupled with ambiance, wine pairing and company one can transcend into an almost dreamy or u-phoric state...not induced by the wine! I believe, Great "food and wine" to be one of the most celebrated pairing on earth. To simply go to a vendor on the street for a hashed job and consider words like, "best Falang food" is a crime...you should be sent to a Thai prison!

Can one find great food from a vendor...sure...most likely, No way...street vendors are built on the idea of fast, cheap, and easy food. It meets the need of consumption based on hunger and tastes good only because you need food...Now! Is it truely good food!

SB

Fly,

Cafe' or small restaurants in LOS in the range of 300 to 800 baht produce good falang food...In the south!

On my last trip I went to some Italian place in the Pong set between two of the soi by some gogo's and a dance place and had a nice dinner! I was alone and paid 1300 baht!

1 glass of house white with some spinach dip (not bad), some penne with alfredo, 2 glasses of red win and the main course of (I forgot)...1300 a bit high for LOS but very enjoyable as I remember!

I think someone said earlier...Samui is on spot for good falang food...alot of cafe and small restaurants like bettlenut to enjoy.

SB

Archived