Visiting Bangkok during Songkran Festival

Does things totally shutdown like Christmas and New Year back home during the the Songkran festival in Bangkok? I plan to visit some garment manufacturers, wholesalers and retailer a week before Songkran. After that I plan to spend my first Songkran in Chiang Dao. Any advise you guys can give me? Cheers

smile.gif" border="0

As noone else has replied i will give you my 2 cents worth.

IMO Bangkok ressembles a ghost town during Songkran with very little traffic.

I would not advise you just to show up and expect people to be around.Arrange meetings beforehand

However you mention wishing to arrange meetings the week before Songkran.

the week before as the week after is no problem like Christmas and New Year 'back home'

If I remember correctly, Bar fines are increased during this time. A few girls I know, "bail" themselves out and head home for the festivities during this time! I also seem to remeber a water deluge from the Nana hotel swimming pool that spilled into the lobby a few years back. It can be a great time, but I think it is best enjoyed out of BKK.

quote:

It can be a great time, but I think it is best enjoyed out of BKK.

Right on the spot. For a good Songkran I can recommend to visit Chiang Mai. Ensure that bookings are made timely.

@ Ken

Bangkokians will go to Pattaya (crowded at Songkran), Bang Saen (same), Hua Hin (same) or any other holiday destination in the country (same).

@ECPlayer

The bars are open. There are less BGs than usual for a couple of days, but many come back quite soon.

BTW the place to go if you are in Bangkok during Songkran is Khaosarn Road. Be prepared! Thousands of kids, no farangs, the place is packed. Bring old clothes, you will get wet and dirty. Don't bring camera, mobile etc, they will get ruined.

Archived