The phone rings after 2am, common?

When I give a Thai my phone number, I can pretty much guarantee it won't be long until the phone rings for no urgent reason very late at night after 2am. I am talking Thai's in general here; BG's, GTG's, Thai guys. Am I the only one? How would you handle this? Because of this I almost never give out my number, but more often they capture it on their mobi phone if I call them.

All I can think of is they are used to people with mobi phones who turn them off when they don't want to be disturbed. But in my case I don't have a mobi and just a direct number so that isn't practical.

I have little experience with after 2am phone calls - happy to say.

With regards to a solution to your problem, if you can not rig your phone to automatically detonate the handset (or mobile) of the caller, you should be able to pick up an accessory or two at Phantip Plaza that will enable you to easily disconnect at night and reconnect in the morning.

Escape Rabbit said:

When I give a Thai my phone number, I can pretty much guarantee it won't be long until the phone rings for no urgent reason very late at night after 2am. I am talking Thai's in general here; BG's, GTG's, Thai guys. Am I the only one? How would you handle this?

Well, I NEVER call anyone after 2 am.either my friends.

The people who do that is inconsiderate. Mai kraeng jai.

This goes for both cell phone and land line.

You are unfortunate, Rabbit. (I left the 'escape' part as you an't escape from this situation. He hee)

:D

>the phone rings for no urgent reason very late at night after 2am. I am talking Thai's in general here; BG's, GTG's, Thai guys.

Never heard my gf's phone ringing after 9pm. If it does, must be from friends helping us/being helped while on the move to meet at some place.

Noticed that phones of some other girls do ring at all times - seems that both parties know they are all still up and having fun. The calls are enthusiatically answered as if they were expected. (Haven't been there when they are not).

Most of my wife's friends here are in the restaurant industry so calls after 12AM are not uncommon at all. Thankfully my wife only gives out her cell phone number so all we have to do is shut it off. If somebody important like a relative needs to get in touch the land line still works but thankfully there are no stupid chit chat calls at 2AM.

As to whether Thais have no concept of kriang jai when it comes to telephone (as GTG suggests) there are plenty of late night messages on my wife's cell to attest to a lack of civility on many Thais. Stupid messages too, such as "Pii, tum arai yuu?" at 2AM? I'm fucking sleeping yuu, asshole! I had one cousin who decided he wanted to do business in the US with me as his agent and thought nothing of calling at 1AM (or 1PM his time). Asshole. Needless to say we did not do business.

Brink15 said:

As to whether Thais have no concept of kriang jai when it comes to telephone (as GTG suggests) there are plenty of late night messages on my wife's cell to attest to a lack of civility on many Thais. Stupid messages too, such as "Pii, tum arai yuu?" at 2AM? I'm fucking sleeping yuu, asshole!

I'm laughing out loud reading your post. You're really funny! Jing jing

:D:D:D

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :rolleyes:

Mind if I have your home number so I can forward these thoughtful calls to you? Of course at 2AM our time it would be 2PM yours so not a big deal to you.

Even her cousin who is a factory owner will think nothing of calling at 1AM our time to chat about the family. And believe it or not at 1AM I really could give a shit if some niece, nephew, or cousin was accepted to Chula or Thammasat. Send us a letter and we'll be overjoyed.

Another example. One of my wife's friends who is also in the restaurant industry is having a party for her daughter, who was just accepted to Stanford. She's having the friggin party Sunday night after the restaurants close. Now all the restaurants are open Monday for lunch but are closed for lunch both Saturday and Sunday. Why not have the party on a night where the attendees could sleep in the next day? Thai logic that's why.

Archived