Chiang Mai

Old Hippie

How about my top 5:

Huan Sontharee resturant. Suntaree is s famous singer and has a restaurant on Wang Singkham, near Rama 9 bridge. Great food and she sings most every night. You will like it, and your TG will LOVE you for it!

Huay Tung Tao resivoir. Kick back in the grass huts lining the lake and cheap good food is brought around for your selection. Rent a paddle boat, canoe, wind surfer or any other knid of craft for a trip around, or fish. Or rent a bike for the path. Or just sit and enjoy.

Visit the hot springs. Cook some eggs in a basket in the hot pool. Go to the hot stream and soak your feet. Take a thousand photos of your girl in the garden. Watch the gysers.

Get a hair cut and massage at the womens prison. Next best thing to a conjugal visit!

Get dinner at Good View of Riverside, and eat it on a boat running up and down the river.

That is my top 5, in no order.

Ban Tawai is the place for wood carvings for sure. Not too far from San Patong, a doll factory and buffalo market, for when tirak needs to replace that worn out one!

Myself, I like Doi Inthanon. The tiles and carvigs alone are great. And a short walk to the highest summit in LOS. Nice gardens too. And everyone Thai, that knows you went there, will ask you how it was. If you say you didn't see it, they won't believe you ever went to CM at all!

If you say you didn't see it, they won't believe you ever went to CM at all!

------------------------

I've been to CM over a dozen times, and finally this time, i took the Mbike one (late) morning, and went up Doi Inthanon. Real nice, but i froze my butt at the summit (12c) for not taking an extra vest. very nice, but i think a bit far for OH's 2 day visit. If someone goes there, do the extra mile to Chomtong where there is quite a nice, glittering, well revered temple.

The San Patong buffalo market is cool, but only once a week, and after 10am, winding down.

I like baan tawai. Plenty of warehouses and shops to visit, tons of handicrafts and novelty designs. prices extra reasonable.

Maybe too much time for a 2 day visit Doi Inthanon), but that is why it was not in my top 5. But really, it is only a half day trip.

Good point about the buffalo market. But I would assume any event peaking OHs interest would result in further research. He never really said what time of year or if he was alone.

a number of local dishes dating back to the Lanna Kingdom.

------------------------

He will also need the address of a nearby hospital if they are that old

hehe. Re-reading the above I realize that I left out a few words, well, I blame it on my newly installed firewall ::

Regarding driving up to Doi Inthanon, not adequately dressed.

I did the very same thing and I left early morning wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sandals. Didn`t take long though, before I realized that this was prolly not my best idea ever. So I stopped at a food stall and got a few newspapers to put under my shirt - inspired by the Tour de France :: - and continued. Finally reaching the summit my arms and hands were kinda numb and I got a dreadful cough that immobilized me for 2 days :(

Sure remember that ride.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Yes, they are a bit touristy, however I really enjoyed the following 1/2 day trips:

1) Wat Doi Suthep - The most beautiful temple I've been to, particularly with the setting on top of a mountain. The Royal family also has its northern palace just a mile away or so.

2) Mae Sa Elephant Camp - Rode an elephant and took some footage of elephants playing musical instruments, playing soccer, doing various drills and painting. While it is touristy, they do take very good care of the elephants, all of whom seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as the tourists enjoyed seeing them.

I've heard the Empress is a good place to stay, though I've only stayed at the Sheraton (which is a bit pricey and is isolated from the action + is located at a noisy intersection, so I don't think I'll be going back there).

If looking for a modest place to get some good eats anytime morning, afternoon or evening, check out the Mango Tree restaurant - everything from Thai to Chinese to salads, Pizza & Burgers on the menu. Located between the night market and the old city.

For a more upscale restaurant with some great bands, check out The Good View located on the river.

One final note: This city has grown rapidly over the last 15 years, with the traffic, street noise and air pollution also growing rapidly (not the peaceful, quiet town some expect)

Archived