www.akha.org

iuytrede

Site works fine for me and I'm inside LOS. I feel sorry for the guy. He seemed to have a wealth of knowledge and passion on this topic and was not only ignored by the govt, but expelled. He has a very extensive web site and books published on the plight of the northerners, but seemed the final straw was hiring a lawyer to bring issues he identified to the attention of the UN.

I met Mathew Mcdaniels last year when I was in Chiang Mai. I admire the man for his courage and conviction. That being said, I must add also that when I read his book although it was shocking in it's claims it was disappointingly lacking in any proof to back those claims up.

I am surprised he lasted as long in the Kingdom as he did. He was vocally anti-government to the point of being militant and he didn't seem to care much about the consequences.

What got him well known outside of human rights circles was an article published in the BKK post in which he claimed to a reporter that he had proof that officers in the 5th army circle were complicit in the murders of several hill tribe leaders.

As far as I know he never produced the proof, but I have to say that under the circumstances he may be very lucky.

There are others who have tried to challenge "dark forces" in the Kingdom and met with fates worse than deportation.

Archived