12 hour Direct flights from BKK to US to start "soon"!

I read that Thai Airways plans to start direct flights between Bangkok and several US cities(primarily Chicago)using the newly approved North Pole route "soon". The story said the flight should only take about 12 hours which is a major improvement especially for those in the East. I can't find any mention of it on the internet other than a 1998 story saying they were planning the route and about to start seeking approval. I read the story in one of the asian newspapers they handed me on my flight back from Bangkok on Monday. I don't think it was the Bangkok Post but the other one they give you.

Anyone know when these flights might start and if any other airline is planning something similar?

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Alfalfa ]

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Alfalfa ]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai have looked at trying to get some New A340 for this route. As far as I am aware that is the only aircraft due out soon that will do this trip nonstop.

The article said 12 hours. Maybe they are wrong. Here is a cut and paste of an article I found from May 11/1998. The article I read the other day basically said the same thing except now the approvals are all in place and Thai air is apparently ready to start service "soon".

Cut and paste from http://www.global.lao.net/laonews/old/051298.txt

Thailand Plans Direct Flight Route to U.S.

BANGKOK (May 11) XINHUA - Thais traveling to the United

States will be able to enjoy a much shorter flight in the

future as the country is planning a direct route via the

North Pole.

Monday's Bangkok Post said the International Civil

Aviation Organization (ICAO) has agreed on the direct

route between Thailand and the United States.

The new route passes over Laos, Myanmar, China,

Mongolia, Russia and the North Pole and will take only 12

hours. The current route over India takes 22 to 23 hours.

The Aeronautical Radio of Thailand Co. (AeroThai), which

proposed the route and incorporated it into the flight

route development plan of ICAO members, said it has yet to

seek approval from the countries en route to install air

traffic control equipment.

AeroThai expects to introduce the new route to airlines

within two years.

db

you have a good atlas!

Toronto - Bkk is 8474 miles

Chicago - BKK 8565 miles

NY - BKK 8664 miles

The longest nonstop flight operated by any US airline is NY - HK, 8100 miles, 15 1/2 hours on a B 777.

LA - Bkk is 8263 miles. I don't know of any airline who does it nonstop.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: iuytrede ]

Airspeed is the speed that you are cutting through the air. If the wind is against you at 500miles per hour and you are stationary you are doing 500mph Airspeed.

Wind behind you at 100mph, aircraft is measuring 600mph it is doing 700mph ground speed.

Iuytrede:

"The longest nonstop flight operated by any US airline is NY - HK, 8100 miles, 15 1/2 hours on a B 777." http://www.delta.com/travel/reservations/flight_sched/results/schedules_results.jsp

Delta has a flight which is 8430 miles(according to their printed "Delta Worldwide timetable") from Atlanta to Johannesburg.Is there no direct flights from the US to Bkk because of the fuel limitations of the aircraft or is it due to a lack of demand?

Jay

quote:

Originally posted by JAYBLOOM:

Is there no direct flights from the US to Bkk because of the fuel limitations of the aircraft or is it due to a lack of demand?

Jay,

There was a response to this same question from one of the commercial pilots on the old board. Unfortunately, that info is gone now.

As I recall, it had to do with new equipment and the opening of new polar routes over Russian airspace, but not market demand in this case. Singapore Airlines also is planning nonstops from SIN to the US when they get the new Airbus.

Cheers.

It's a limitation of the aircraft.

The new Airbus A340 due out next year will have the non stop range to achieve BKK-New York nonstop using the Polar route,or so they say.

Archived