12 hour Direct flights from BKK to US to start "soon"!

@ Jaybloom

quote:

Delta has a flight which is 8430 miles(according to their printed "Delta Worldwide timetable") from Atlanta to Johannesburg

Delta does not operate this flight.

It is codesharing South African Airways flight SA 212, Atlanta - Johannesburg nonstop, 8400 miles, 15 1/2 hours.

They can do it nonstop because of prevailing western winds. They cannot do the reverse route nonstop. http://www.saa.co.za/1024.html

The Delta flight number is 7002, 4 digit flight numbers are usually codesharing.

Delta has in the past been criticized for not honestly telling customers which airline they are really going to fly with.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting this news. I live on the West Coast, so it would still be a one stop trip for me, but it still might be faster to go from SFO/ORD/BKK than my usual trip of SFO-Narita. It looks like it will save me about 2-3 hours.

Now I just have to wait to for the bad news...this flight should be very popular, I wonder what the fares wil be?

NorCal

Just flew back from BKK via Hong Kong. Continental have just started a new over-the-pole direct flight from HK to Newark. This is apparently the longest non-stop. The flight took 15 hours in a 777, which is pretty grim in coach. These new routes are available because Russian airspace has opened up.

Interesting point - FAA regulations used to state that for non-stop flights of this length, planes must have 4 engines. Continental (and others) lobbied for this rule to be changed, which it was. That's why continental use a 2-engined 777. This polar route passes over a whole lot of nothing, don't know about everyone else, but the thought of an emergency landing in Siberia does not appeal. I know a 777 is supposed to be able to fly on one engine, but....

"They can do it nonstop because of prevailing western winds."

So therefore wouldn't BKK to West Coast USA

be with the wind and therefore possible to

go nonstop? Jay

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And if the wind is insufficient do you want to swim?

They make the mney on a bus stop system of fly here ith a big aircraft some get off some get on,, this is by agreement. You cannot unilaterally fly via here stop there stop elsewher etc... You must have an agreement to pick up passengers other than the country of origin and the ultimate dstination to return to the country of origin.

quote:

And if the wind is insufficient do you want to swim?

They make the mney on a bus stop system of fly here ith a big aircraft some get off some get on,, this is by agreement. You cannot unilaterally fly via here stop there stop elsewher etc... You must have an agreement to pick up passengers

They certainly can pretend to customers that they operate a nonstop flight, even if they have to make an "unforeseen" stop on almost every return flight.

Lufthansa did that when SIA started to fly nonstop Asia-Europe. LH did not yet have the same new planes as SIA but they printed a schedule FRA - HKG nonstop anyway. Going to HK they usually made it (because of the wind), back to FRA they usually had a stop in Istanbul, but they would not tell this to their customers (until they were in Istanbul). They had no passengers to or from Istanbul.

(Contrary to what some posters seem to think)return flights do not necessarily follow the same routing as the corresponding outbound flight.

MH used to have nonstops Taipei-Langkawi, returning you had to transfer in KL.

SAA's flight is Atlanta-Johannesburg nonstop, returning they stop in Ilha do Sal (Cap Verde).

• 2 weeks later...

Jay:

"So therefore wouldn't BKK to West Coast USA

be with the wind and therefore possible to

go nonstop?"

These prevailing winds are found over the Atlantic going from USA to Africa, not quite the same over the Pacific between Asia and USA. Are there any weathermen out there who could elaborate further?

ITS HARD TO BELEIVE 12 HOURS FROM USA OR CANADA TO BANGKOK . LAST JANUARY WHEN I WENT FROM LONDON TO BANGKOK NONSTOP BY THAI

IT DID TAKE 12 HOURS ,WHEN LONDON IS A LOT LESS IN DISTANCE THAN STATES

Archived