12 hour Direct flights from BKK to US to start "soon"!

quote:

Originally posted by Pachuko:

would like to point out that Thai Air

has a LAX-BKK NONSTOP flight...

No they do not have a nonstop flight from LAX to BKK. The flights stop in Japan, either Narita or Kansai airports. They have a direct flight with 1 stop. This is similar to Northwest flight #1 from LAX to BKK. It has one stop at Narita.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, I have not received a reply from Thai Airways HQ yet (and wonder if I will), but i received this from their Brussels office:

"Regarding your question I can tell you that this is a rumour and it did not come to our attention here in BRU. So it is not true.

The latest news regarding THAI can always be seen on our website.

Hopefully this answered your question.

Best regards

Tom Vleugels

Passenger Sales Representative

Thai Airways International PCL"

[i -think- ground speed is always slower than airspeed anyway, assuming a wind velocity of zero. Pilots, please fix this if I'm wrong.]

Actually, it's the other way around. I'm not a pilot, but an air traffic controller. Ground speed is faster than air speed, and dependent on altitude. The higher an aircraft is for a given air speed (indicated air speed), the faster the ground speed will be. The higher you go, the less dense the air is.

Air carriers will modify their routes on a daily basis to take advantage of the winds. Tail winds are good, head winds are not (obviously). Winds in the jetstream can easily exceed 100 knots. An enormous amount of consideration is given to this in terms of fuel costs.

Airspeed is the speed that you are cutting through the Air. Ground speed is the measurment of your speed over land

500knots airspeed no wind = 500knots Ground speed.

500knots airspeed into 100Knot wind = 400knots ground speed

500knots Airspeed with a tailwind of 100knots =600Knots airspeed.

There ar a number of airspeeds

Indicated

calibrated

equivalent and True

True is calibrated for the density of the air you are in.

Basically the first section on this tells the story you want to know.

The statement about there being different kinds of airspeed is entirely correct. Here are the definitions:

Indicated Airspeed: The direct instrument reading obtained fom the airspeed indicator, uncorrected for variations in atmospheric density, installation error, or instrument error. It is a measurement of the difference between the impact pressure (throught the pitot tube) and the static pressure. The difference in pressure is registered by the airspeed pointer on the face of the instrument, which is calibrated in miles per hour, knots, or both.

Calibrated Airspeed: Indicated airspeed corrected for installation error and instrument error. This error is generally greatest at low airspeeds and certain flap settings. In the cruising and higher airspeed ranges, indicated airspeed and calibrated airspeed are approximately the same.

True Airspeed: (Basically this is the same as groundspeed.) The airspeed indicator is calibrated to indicate true airspeed under standard sea level conditions (29.92 inches Hg and 15 degrees C). Therefore, for a given true airspeed, indicated airspeed decreases as altitude increases or for a given indicated airspeed, true airspeed increases with an increase in altitude.

quote:

Originally posted by follies:

Interesting point - FAA regulations used to state that for non-stop flights of this length, planes must have 4 engines. Continental (and others) lobbied for this rule to be changed, which it was. That's why continental use a 2-engined 777. This polar route passes over a whole lot of nothing, don't know about everyone else, but the thought of an emergency landing in Siberia does not appeal. I know a 777 is supposed to be able to fly on one engine, but....

Actually, the 777 can not only fly with a single engine, but it can take off, fully loaded (and fueled), too.

Both the 747 and the 777 have very good engines; I wouldn't worry about downing the plane in a frozen waste because of engine problems. If a plane were to make an emergency landing, it would most likely do so because of some other mechanical problem.

Here is a 6/27/01 story that discusses a proposed Bangkok-Chicago non-stop flight:

http://news.airwise.com/stories/2001/06/993671521.html

Thailand And US Reported Close To Agreement On Air Traffic Pact

Jun 27, 2001

Thailand and the United States are reported to be nearing agreement on an air traffic pact after almost a decade of argument.

Transport and Communications Ministry permanent secretary Srisook Chandrangsu told the Nation newspaper that after several rounds of informal discussions, a final deal was now within reach.

During the meetings, Thailand reportedly agreed to a US proposal to use Bangkok as a regional hub for its air cargo traffic while the midwestern US city of Chicago would serve as a base for Thailand.

Thailand has also proposed a non-stop 16.5 hour service from Bangkok to Chicago using a new route over the North Pole rather than the traditional route over the Pacific Ocean.

'It's more reasonable to use Chicago as the main destination for the transit of both passenger and cargo flights because the US has already developed the city as its hub,' Mr Srisook said.

Mr Srisook said the new accord would be aimed at easing limitations set by the two countries in response to changes in the aviation industry.

The conflict over air traffic rights began a decade ago after Thailand scrapped the previous agreement which was struck after World War II.

The two countries currently use each other's airspace by special permission after a five-year temporary contract expired two years ago.

Archived