Nit's birthday party

MrX

On the 25th of August 2003 Nit was 25. She put on a big bash at the bar. The presents piled high behind her in the booth where the aircon drips and the fabric of the seat has become unspeakable. She had so many girlfriends there. The ones who from time to time even go to her home in Isaan en masse. Shake out the village, amuse her diminutive dad, and dole out big love free to her kids Pim and Pom. They all stopped by, between dancing, still swaying to the music, chanting, ?Mau maak ma.? but I was the guest of honor that night, the fox in the henhouse.

More than year before, long before The Bar had become differentiated from all the others she had chosen me. Down from Korat after her husband had been shot dead in a bungled police operation and had just started to work bar she jumped in my lap. When I saw the country-girl gap between her two front teeth I was lost. I was living up-country then and got to Bangkok one weekend a month, or maybe more and she was always waiting. I was vaguely aware she was getting savvier though. Got Hotmail and talked about going home to Korat to get a passport. She danced more sinuously too, working the poles, and between sets covered herself less. Then one time too many I rolled into the bar and she wasn?t there and though I had never been in love with her with the soul-shaking intensity The Isaan princess conjures so effortlessly it still hurt.

The first cut.

?Where Nit?? I asked bewildered..

?She go Phuket?

?When she come ?

?She no come, work bar beer now? Final.

She did come back of course, after a couple of months but not before I had bar fined Lek, who was fat and had the courage to dance nude, I admiringly thought. Not before I had vaccinated my heart.

I tried but couldn?t explain and we carried on apparently unscathed. But I slowly found that when she was already fined or had gone home unexpectedly I used to feel a frisson of freedom. And this was just how it had started with the Isaan Princess in July, about a month before the party. I knew that much of this she was aware, even magnanimously in the early days, half guessing, at the gathering storm.

So by that birthday night as I sat with her, drinking her wine, IP discreetly elsewhere in the bar, we already knew that this was our swansong. When she danced I stuffed conscience money down her bikini and later, when she wanted to go upstairs I followed her reluctant and disguised, There in the short-time room, I remember most of all the hypnotic sound of the rain and a certain distaste which might not just be attributed to the sleaziness around. She, herself, was unusually quiet as we wandered the maze and mutely said goodbye, gently as we could.

It briefly flared again one warm evening in October when IP was in hospital and I needed her help A friend of mine, Gay, who worked Nana plaza. wanted to come work Cowboy but was afraid because she had no friends. Nit and I rushed over to Carnival and brought her back to The Bar to meet Mamasan and the Boss. She was generous and asked no questions that night.

Around Christmas time Miss Surin, who sleeps on Nit?s floor whispered:

?You love Nit like Nongsau and IP like Tilac. Right??

What could I say?

Another time Nit defended me when a dekserve said to IP ? Him big butterfly? hardly smiling. Nit, eavesdropping shot back, ? He no boom boom me six months already!?

There is little more. A few weeks ago she rang fron Korat while I was on the back of a bike in Sukumvit 49. ? Hello, I, Nit, I want you no forget me?. Her father had had an accident and she needed money. She said. I didn?t help.

Now sometimes when IP is on the other side of the bar and she is dancing she squats down to greet me or I catch her staring with an expression that seems to border on hate. But this doesn?t happen often because she has so many customers you see??

• 4 weeks later...

Just re-read this, and it keeps getting better.

The first time, I hadn't yet worked out yet which bar it was, now I know, it is the same bar in which I spend most of my time when in SC, and I think also LaoHuli, JB, and a few other frequent contributors.

Knowing where adds, although I can't identify IP or Nit, i can imagine, I can smell the smell, see the sultry looks, hear the over the top raucous laughter, taste the Singha.

Please keep up the writing, keep feeding my nostalgia and longing.

• 2 weeks later...
rompandadam said:

excuse me if I interject....."almost certainly not"

"almost"

Are you saying Ms Surin doesn't have fuzzy hair, or doesn't behave in very outrageouas manners, or either or both/

Sorrry, KS, maybe we should take this off line to PM.

it's just that my Ms FH (well, my, as far as possessive pronouns have any meaning when talking about BGs) does come from Surin. Well, so do many of her collegues in that same bar.

Maybe Romp, Suadum and I simply have to get together and compare notes, in that bar.

BTW, Jimmie Blonde could solve the enigma. i arived with him at that bar one friday night late April, and he met MsFH coiling herself around me.

It was the same night he and I walked down from gulli's, down sukh. to Sc, while he mentioned his experiences about this walk of shame stretch outside Robinsons.

JB, help us out, are we talking about the same wench, or at crosspurposes?

ok I stick my neck out, risk mods wrath...not same... in fact many many women from Surin in P4P( sorry just noticed you already half said that)....outrageousness is coin of the realm etc...PM if you want to discuss more

ikkrang said:
rompandadam said:

excuse me if I interject....."almost certainly not"

<<snip>>it's just that...Ms FH...does come from Surin. Well, so do many of her collegues in that same bar.<<snip>>

Well, Midnite is a throwback bar, in that 99% of the grils working there come from the same province. AfterSkool is another (BuriRam) It used to be in the olde tyme-y days that the bars were all like that, but not so much any more.

BTW, since I know both (at least on sight), I am *sure* that FH is not Miss S/IP, but I was not going to answer for Romp.

Romp: back in town? Good to hear from you again!

Cheers,

SD

Thanks, romp and Suadum, for that response.

It isn't important of course, I just like sometimes to be able to put a face on the girl described in a story. Yes, I was aware that there are several Surin girls in that bar, not that there were that many.

Got the blues again, the BKKB.

Archived