Thai women at the movies?

Lusty

Rusty,

I will chime in here on this topic. The thai general population (male or female) has absolutely no appreciation for critically acclaimed movies. But that is probably true for most nations as well minus some western european and north america countries.

The average movie goer tends to be influenced and like what hollywood churns out (popular high tech, action-pack, mindless, entertaining material but generates no thinking about issues or underlying meanings and messages).

Thais are no different than others except i would think have even a much smaller percentage of its population interested in quality, serious movies. Just take a look who attends international, eurpean and independent festivals when they show....

Thai society is just not a serious one (not meant to be a flame) and has even less interest to see movies (or have critical discussions about them) and gravitate much more towards purely entertaining stuff. Just look at what they produce in their films. I have taken some highly educated thais to movies and they just lack the interest to see thought-provoking films. They will tell you that they "give me a headache" and they have a predetermined notion that movies should only be watched to entertain (comedy, romance, action, high tech) and forget as soon as you leave the theater. The more complex the movie, the less they like it (whether positive or negative)....

They just like the light and positive stuff (which i include the violent stuff today shown because we have been decentalized to killing and death without feeling).

Thais flock to the popular, big-marketing budget films but stay away from the "serious" independent films or non-positive ones. The lido is the only place i know of that shows off-beat, critically acclaimed independent films but the audiences are always small in numbers and compose mainly (90%) of foreigners....

I would bet anything that the films judged as critical good ones (recently: mystic river, american beauty, moulin rouge, schindler's list, pleasantville, etc) and would have very low ticket sales in comparison to the "hollywood" mainstream popular films geared toward the average movie goer. It does, though, make sense for a business perspective.....

Lets see how long "the passion of the Chrsit" lasts in theaters......

Cardinalblue

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes Schindlers list.She was moaning because it was in monocrome and no explaining could convince her otherwise.

One thing I have learned with concerning Thais are,keep things simple.

She did enjoy "The pianist"though so this prompted me to try her on this.

I had an experience 1-2 years back taking a BG to a movie at the Emporium , letting her choose the movie , she had her heart set on seeing " Goat Shit " ... :dunno: , Goat Shit ? :: I could'nt care about any animals shit , gave her the baht for the tickets , came back , and the movie she wanted to see was " Ghost Ship " , kinda bloody and gruesum movie , i slept thru most of it , she loved it...Goat Shit would have been a better name for said movie.

Bada :down: Bing

Archived