Thai women at the movies?

Lusty

Hi,

"The average movie goer tends to be influenced and like what hollywood churns out (popular high tech, action-pack, mindless, entertaining material but generates no thinking about issues or underlying meanings and messages)."

I guess it just depends on what you want from a movie.

When I go to the movies (which is not often, I usually buy the DVD) I want to be entertained for an hour or 2. With that in mind, I too, prefer those movies that "hollywood churns out".

Doesn't necessarily mean I am stupid or not interested in heavier stuff. All it means is that I prefer to be entertained rather than educated.

Sanuk!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crash999 said:
Damon thinks about it for a second and replies "Grab.". The other actor gets an embarrassed look on his face, scratches out his first entry and says "Sh!t, I screwed that one up pretty bad." There was one other 'expat' / falang / tourist (whatever we call ourselves now) in the audience. We were both about to die laughing while the rest of the audience had no idea why we thought it was so funny. I can only imagine how something like that comes across in subtitles.

Heheh...

I saw American Pie over here. There's the infamous scene where the main character is talking to the girl who always goes on about boring stories of band camp. So they're at a party and she says, "And this one time... at band camp... I stuck a flute in my pussy."

I burst out laughing, as did one or two other farang in the audience- everyone else was silent and my date gave me a weird look. I asked her what the subtitles said, and she told me the sentence was, "And this one time... at band camp... I played the flute." :: ::

Yeah, I sometimes manage to catch some of the subtitles and, from what little I know, when it goes rude it's nothing like the English dialogue. It's always bowdlerised for Thai consumption. (Which is annoying, because I'm usually looking at the subtitles to try to learn all the good stuff.::)

Pirate DVDs of new movies are even worse, of course. In fact, you can usually get some idea of how bad they are by switching on the English subtitles. Done by some idiot with a phrasebook in a room in China...

My ex-girlfriend told me she understood both Memento and Groundhog Day which, if true, quite impressed me.

I saw 'There's something about Mary' at the cinema when it first came out in Thailand. Of course, they censored the shot where you actually see Ben Stiller's dick caught in his fly but they didn't censor the scene where he was furiously wanking. However, only I was laughing (pissing myself) in the whole packed cinema. The Thais just seemed too repressed and embarassed (or possibly, too grown up?) to laugh. Possibly the scene needed an old bald guy falling over and a big fat Thai man dressed up as a ladyboy to make it work for them.

In General I agree, my wife and her friends prefer easy going movies. But lately we saw three not so Hollywood Mainstream movies...

- Whalerider

- Lost in Translation (she liked the scene with the "present" from his hosts " Lip my stockings..." :-) )

- City of God

Although the last one we had to watch twice, as the subtitles even killed me at times.

But as I said... these are exceptions, and the next one will be "50 first dates" ... for a change.

I want to sound off to the poster that said, "I'd probably hate a movie too if I had to read subtitles."[approx. quote] too lazy to dig it up. :doah:

Subtitles are sometimes poorly done, but are you off your head? Among the best films I've ever watched have not been English language films, and I don't miss the experience of the film because of subtitles. Sorry, but I can't stand the whole I don't read subtitles argument.

I look at it like - I get to see more interesting films thanks to the subtitles ::

Ok, now that I've said that I admit the Thai subtitles are sometimes laborious and laughable. We saw Kiyoshi Kurosawa's 'Kairo' in Japanese with Thai and English subtitles, and its a good thing it was a horror film :eek: Simple to follow plotwise, and lucky for us because the subtitles were the real 'horror' of the film :banghead:

Curses and offensive stuff is often muted or chopped out totally in translation ala the "American Pie" translation previously mentioned.

Films I saw with my TGF in the past that she liked:

Battle Royale

City of God

Three [trilogy]

Reservoir Dogs

Bully

she's not a cinephile but open minded,

the_numbers

want to sound off to the poster that said, "I'd probably hate a movie too if I had to read subtitles."[approx. quote] too lazy to dig it up.

We watched "crouching tiger hiden dragon"the other week.Even though I had to read the subtitles I still enjoyed it has it had some fit looking chinese chicks in it.She enjoyed because she can understand quite a bit of chinese(bet you did'nt know that Phil!)and "Chow Yun Fat him hansume man" she said.

Guest lazyphil

<<She enjoyed because she can understand quite a bit of chinese(bet you did'nt know that Phil!)>>

Isn't she part Chinese?--we just got back from the Chinese restaurant up the road..now having a few glasses of red wine...are you at work now :neener:....let me see whats on Sky Movies ::

Bibblies: Depended on where you watched "There's Something about Mary." I saw it at The Empoium uncensored. At that time, movies shown there would go uncensored, while the same one shown elsewhere was censored. I soon learned to go only there. Better these days, a little.

Archived