Laos

Coss

Hi all,

we've had a few posts about Laos in the past and some interesting info.

As part of my continuing quest to fish, drink and whore my way down the Mekong river, I'm asking for any updates on Laos and Sanuk, Fishing and the Mekong.

Some of the research I've done has suggested that Bus travel is at best fucking awfull and that Sanuk can be had albeit discreetly.

There seem to be two schools of thought about Laos:

1 - very dangerous - have a backup air lift team ready

2 - travel but just try and avoid the overturned buses and sinking ferries.

Any way, any updated info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Coss

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Laos. It's like Thailand was 20 years ago in some ways. The people are reserved (some would call it repressed), honest and dignified. They tend to go to bed early.

Visa easily purchased on entry. Avoid the Thai touts who offer to help.

There are cafes and a few bars in Vientiane but basically its a quiet town. Not a lot of traffic so walking around is a pleasure. There are plenty of hotels and guesthouses in all price ranges.

Most of the 'action' is along the riverside with some pleasant places to eat and drink and watch the Mekong River. I personally have never been involved in P4P there but I understand the tuk-tuk guys will fix you up at your own risk.

Luang Prabang is delightful. It is still a religious center for Buddhists but the tourist scene is beginning to dominate especially along the main street. Plenty of restaurants and internet cafes etc. .I saw busses unloading hordes of falang with cameras at 6 in the morning outside the temples. Then they followed the monks around with their begging bowls. A very bizarre scene I thought. Don't know what the monks made of it.

I took the local bus from Vientiane to LP. It was fine but took nearly all day. There is a luxury bus which wasn't much faster.

Travel on the river, up or down, is by slow boat or speedboat. Slow boat is quiet and scenic but slow. Speedboat is fast, cramped and noisy.

I didn't have any problems and never felt threatened. Can't remember seeing many policemen or soldiers. That was a couple of years ago. There has been trouble from time to time on the roads around Vang Vieng but I can't provide an update. I got to go fishing a couple of times usually in dugouts. Caught a few catfish. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

not only helpful, but your post has confirmed my desire to start my trip in Laos.

Ideally fly to LB and the slow boat down the river to Vientienne or beyond.

Cheers

Coss

Coss,

You might want to wait a little bit to do that trip - depending on when you want to go.

Now, being dry season, the river level is VERY low, and the boats either don't run, get stuck, or run the risk of hitting submerged rocks/trees etc. There have been some nasty accidents up there in dry season.

If you can wait until some rain comes and the level of the Mekong rises, the boat trip is much more pleasant. Very very hot at the moment there too!

Fly P.

If your planning on any air travel in Laos check out their air safety record (should be on the net somewhere) i have heard that its not the best.

"The Lao Government prohibits sexual contact between foreign citizens and Lao nationals except when the two parties have been married in accordance with Lao Family Law. Any foreigner who enters into a sexual relationship with a Lao national may be interrogated, detained, arrested, or jailed. Lao police have confiscated passports and imposed fines of up to $5000 on foreigners who enter into disapproved sexual relationships. The Lao party to the relationship may also be jailed without trial. Foreigners are not permitted to invite Lao nationals of the opposite sex to their hotel rooms; police may raid hotel rooms without notice or consent."

Sanuk can be had albeit discreetly.

Hi Coss,

I advice you to be very discret ::

Some infos, based on the experience of my trip to Laos:

1) It seems to be very difficult to rent a bike or a car outside of vientiane. (at least in Savanakhet)

2) Bus travel takes at least 2 times more time than in Thailand (and more expensive)

3) Laos is more expensive than Thailand.

4) You can only change dollars or thai baht. You can pay with thai baht everywhere.

5) the people are very friendly and invite farangs spontaneously for a beer. (You can refuse to drink out but you should take a sip)

6) the elite speaks french (very well)

7) english level is low

8) e-mail is very, very slow :(

9) no mobile phone connections :( Near of the thai border you might though use your thai mobile phone, at least for SMS.

10) It is difficult to find good restaurants in the countryside

A tip: try to find the local tennis court (or something similar) and to speak with the elite. They might propose to stay in their guesthouse (because they don't earn much money as civil servants they might have some illegal side earnings...)

It seems to be very difficult to get any info about Laos on the internet. But you can buy some good travel books in Thailand.

Best regards

Archived