Laos

Coss

I think there is one ATM at a bank in VT, but it is not much use, because the biggest banknote is 20,000 Kip, which is about US $ 2

The machine would need to be refilled after every five or ten withdrawals. i forgot what the biggest withdrawal sum is, i'll try next time. I'm also not sure if it takes Visa Or bankcard, or only debit cards.

i jsut load up on baht before I cross the border.

Yes, lao has GSM services, but you'd have to buy your own Simcard.

As I said, AFAIK, foreign simcards only work via the Thai networks, if you're close to the border

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back today, Still no ATM's in Loas, but cash advnce was fine, and a better exchange rate than bangkok.

Phones work well, the GSM system is fine, I think you may have thought I meant getting AIS in Laos, which is possible if your near the boarder or river, but not inVientianne, I was refering to International Roaming which I have on my thai phone.

It can be expensive though, even the locals who work with me pay mre for a tuk tuk than a thai in a village does (Vientianne) Clothing is cheaper in Bangkok, that said, I would live there at a drop of a hat, very nie place,

JB

You laid out a number of disadvantages and concluded "would live there at a drop of a hat". Can you expand on how you like it better than LOS? Just curious.

No - I was referring to previious poster who ppinted it out that Loas can be expensive, and was told no its not. Like everything in life there is no definate answer, somethings are cheaper, some are more expensive, in my post I iilluminated some pstive as well as negtive.

I find i prefer the people, though sadly the women are not as good looking or "Slim" as thais, I like the food, and I love the architecture, I really do enjoy the old houses, the new ones, and the lack of tall buldings.

I work there a few times every few months, and will be spending a lot more time there shortly,

but in essance, I think the real answer is that I do not like bangkok, haven't liked it for a long time, and am eagerr to get out of here.

JB

though sadly the women are not as good looking or "Slim" as thais

Ah yes? I came to the opposite conclusion (why did I waste my time traveling to thailand instead of visiting Laos?!?). But having a lao GF I am certainly biased....

Best regards

just got back from vientiane last week, and had a very cool time there. was there in 2002, and not that much has changed, but here are some thoughts:

- email/web access was pretty good, net cafes everywhere, sometime 2 to 3 on the same block. faster access than nong khai!

- seems like everybody speaks thai better than english. i talked to my tuk-tuk driver in thai and he took me around to check out some girly joints. ended up at a very cool hostess/dancehall place, but unfortunately i forgot to get the name of it.

hope this helps,

eljefe

ND >cash advnce was fine, and a better exchange rate than bangkok.<

That is good to hear, because in a more remote province where I go often, the banks didn't do cash advances anymore, and no business accepts credit cards!. Important to know in advance.

I usually just fill up on Baht befroe crossing over into Lao.

• 1 month later...

I met some peoples in Lao who started their trip in a boat dwon the Mekong somewhere near the golden triangle, down to Luang Prabang. They were totally excited and highly recommended it.

Archived