Work permit application in Thai?

Whenever I apply for extension of my visa, my employer fills in the forms together with a letter of guarantee in English. There was never a problem. Only when applying for permanent residence status all docs have to be submitted in Japanese.

KS,

The US embassy in Thailand provides visa application forms and instructions in both English and Thai, but the answers on the forms have to be written in English even if submitted on the Thai-language form.

I have to agree with the poster you quoted - it makes perfect sense for any government to require that a form or application submitted to it should be in the country's language. The fact that English and the Roman alphabet is so pervasive in Thailand is a bonus that makes living there resonably comfortable for those who are not conversant in the Thai language, but that doesn't mean that the government can't or shouldn't insist on Thai for official purposes.

Grabii

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"I fail to see what is weird about having to submit an application to the Gov't of ANY country that you want to work in, in any language other than that of the country."

Perhaps because the person applying will almost certainly not be fluent in the language of that country as he / she is not a citizen of said country, hence the requirement of a work permit.

Oh, and why make the form bi-lingual if only Thai answers are permitted?

Archived