Work permit application in Thai?

Hi,

Just got the paperwork for my work permit and was told that all of it has to be filled out in Thai. Now this sounds a bit strange to, especially seeing that the forms are both in Thai *and* English.

Last time everything was taken care of for me, so have no idea if this is correct or not.

Sanuk!

Zaad said:

That's exactly what my wife did as well.

I thought this was only the case here upcountry, and not in Bangkok...weird.

I fail to see what is weird about having to submit an application to the Gov't of ANY country that you want to work in, in any language other than that of the country.

Perhaps we should be able to submit them in German or French or Dutch if that is our native tongue. But, in The Kingdom of Thailand, last I checked, the only official language is Thai.

I suspect the bureaucracy has enough difficulty in finding sufficient people to to process all the work applications without having them to read Punjabi, Burmese, Chinese...... oh, and of course, English.

KS ..... I thought the Company you worked for was responsible for submitting the application...........???? Even if not, they should be more on the ball than this, unless you are getting a work permit for your own company, and then your lawyer should take care of it.

Hi,

"I fail to see what is weird about having to submit an application to the Gov't of ANY country that you want to work in, in any language other than that of the country."

Perhaps because the person applying will almost certainly not be fluent in the language of that country as he / she is not a citizen of said country, hence the requirement of a work permit.

Oh, and why make the form bi-lingual if only Thai answers are permitted?

"I thought the Company you worked for was responsible for submitting the application...........????"

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. No clue why I got all the paperwork. Probably will fill in what I can and then let them handle the rest.

Sanuk!

I fail to see what is weird about having to submit an application to the Gov't of ANY country that you want to work in, in any language other than that of the country.

I am a bit surprised about this statement. In many countries you have the choice between the local language and English. As far as I remember from various postings overseas that was always the case (well, not in France :) ). Why are there application forms in Thai and English, if a written English application is not permitted?

::

My thoughts exactly, if only permitted in Thai then why the bi-lingual form.

In Holland they have other forms such as "degree-evaluation" forms and those are completely in Dutch. They want to force the applier(s) to have more than a basic knowledge of the local lingo.

However, it IS also permitted to fil in those forms in either English, German, or French. :)

what about Japan? can you submit those forms in english? (would surprise me). have to agree with the old fox. majority of countries ask for official language and english is certainly NOT an offical language in Thailand. if you can not write thai it is very easy to get the papers done. and it is cheap in opposite to other countries.

one should be happy that the form is as well in english; at least foreigners know, what they are asking for.

Archived