"Mai khuey aow"

gawguy

I am confused by this usage of "aow." I thought "aow" meant to want something. An object, not to want to do something.

In a couple of cases when I have suggested to a girl that we do something sexual, something she did not want to do, she said "mai kheuy aow." I never have before...that part I understand. But what does "aow" mean in this contact. It can't mean "I never wanted that before." Does it mean, "I never gave that before?"

Any similar usages of "aow" ??

Thanks,

GG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Since you said it was something she did not want to do, can only think what she meant was in the literal sense of (never want!), although I would have thought she might have been more likely to say "mai chawp" (not like), in that case. :dunno:

>>>I thought "aow" meant to want something. An object, not to want to do something.<<<<

I'm confused with the above though. I've asked if someone wanted to me to take a picture of them, and had them say "mai aow" (not want), which is not an object. Maybe you are refering to "yak/yak dai" (need)?

From my limited knowledge, "yak" is used when need to do something, etc. "Yak dai" is used when needing an object. Example is " I mai yak (don't need) to go to the bank". I yak dai (need) a band-aid.

HT

yes, as KS said, in this context it was sexual - 'aou gan' means fucking.

au does not necessarily mean want, for example 'aou bpai' does not mean 'want to go' but 'take away'.

gawguy said:

I thought "aow" meant to want something. An object, not to want to do something.

Hi gg,

I have heard it used to mean "want to do something". It is slang, or not strictly correct Thai. Don't forget, most BGs are not native Thai speakers - they speak Isaan and learn semi-correct, Bangkok Thai when they come to live in the big city.

It's common in any country for many people not to stick to the strict rules of the "official" language, is it not?

Khwai

Hi KS,

OK....I got one for you.... "I need sex"

Sex is not really an object (other than the object of your desire, maybe) :). So would you add "dai" to "yaak" in that case? I've always been a little confused by this.

HT

Hi,

"OK....I got one for you.... "I need sex" "

-> 'Phom tongkaan sek'

"So would you add "dai" to "yaak" in that case?"

Neither :)

Okay, let's see if I can sum these up...

yaak : want / would like to

yaak dai : want / would like to have

aw : want

tongkaan : need

tong : need / have to

Sanuk!

OK....I'm a bit embarrased. I was not thinking, and said "yak" to mean 'need", when it is just the more formal word for "aow".

Both "aow" and "yaak" = want (Yaak being the more formal ?)

Tong = need

So is this correct?

I tong to go to the bank (I need to do something).

I tong gan a band-aid for my finger (I need an object)

I yak to go to the bank (I want to go to the bank)

I yak dai a band aid ( I want an object)

I"M STUPID, OK??? :D

I'm not trying to make this complicated....really. But is the above somewhat correct?

HT

Archived