"Mai khuey aow"

gawguy

Hi,

"ask in thai "kam ni prae wa arai?" and ask her that way to find a different expression."

As my wife's English is way to limited to explain things in English, this is what she does most of the time. I agree that it is very helpful.

Sanuk!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] Let´s make that "Klong thai roop"

[/color]

Bless you for making "R" to be pronounced! :hug: Thai language has a very pronounced "R" and I don't get why so many people are so lazy that they don't pronounce it.

However, I was told once by a prejudice person that only Isaan people have a hard time on the "r". I disagree, many Thais are just too lazy, IMO, worse when foreigners are taught that way too. ::

Jasmine

Hi jasmine,

However, I was told once by a prejudice person that only Isaan people have a hard time on the "r". I disagree, many Thais are just too lazy, IMO, worse when foreigners are taught that way too

IMO there is a lot of urban legend about issarn, often by people who never even sat foot there.

Yes, so do I. I hear the r sound pronounced as l all over Thailand or when it is part of a consonant cluster, it is often not pronounced at all.

It took me years before I realized that Plaa for fish, Glai!/glai for near/far actually is spelled with lor ling :o as I never heard it pronounced.

Learning the script sure was an eyeopener to me :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

<I hear the r sound pronounced as l all over Thailand or when it is part of a consonant cluster, it is often not pronounced at all>

not all over thailand; isaarn kamen have a lot of "r" in their kmer dialect; naturally they also pronounce r more gutturally when they speak phasa klang

jasmine said:

[color:"red"] Let´s make that "Klong thai roop"

[/color]However, I was told once by a prejudice person that only Isaan people have a hard time on the "r". I disagree, many Thais are just too lazy, IMO, worse when foreigners are taught that way too. ::

I don't think foreigners who attend language school are taught that way. They learn by emulating their friends/girlfriends who don't speak properly. Course the trend is to shorten... instead of saying "mai ru ruang arai loey", my girlfriend says, "mailulua-alaloey" at about 100mph. "chai mai" becomes "chama". "pben arai" becaomes "benala". ::

Archived