Thais and math

khunsanuk

Hi,

Once again I am stunned at the lack of even the most basic of mathematical skills of cashiers here in Thailand.

Went to do some grocery shopping during lunch, the bill came up to 40.50 Baht. Gave the cashier 100 Baht, then noticed the 50 satang so handed her a 1 Baht coin as well.

She, however, had already rung up the 100 Baht and had to use a fucking calculator to figure out how much change she had to give me!!!

I know that cashiers here are not that well educated (as in other countries), but I think this is ridiculous.

Sanuk!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>>>Gave the cashier 100 Baht, then noticed the 50 satang so handed her a 1 Baht coin as well.

She, however, had already rung up the 100 Baht and had to use a fucking calculator to figure out how much change she had to give me!!!<<<<<

:D Happens all the time where I live also. They are so used to the cash register telling them the proper change to give back, after ringing up what is handed to them, that it puts them into a tailspin trying to figure it all out, on their own.

HT

In Japan, they do that (use calculator after finishing with cash register) just to write the number instead of telling me in japanese or making a mistake if they tried in English.

The calculator is used as a writing pad.

Not defending Thai cashiers math skills, just tring to understand why they do that wherever I go - Emporium included.

There must a differnce in education between a street vendor and high-class shop assitant but they all do the same when it comes to money and farang.

IMO, they would write the number rather than telling it.

KS,

I think they simply don't bother as they have numerous calculations a day, day in day out. I guess it would wear them out. One would say they ought to be experts by now, but obviously the opposite.

Perhaps they see it is good (fair) service towards the customer as the calculator is always right. :)

Besides, don't they always have to calculate (or in her case re-calculate) in order to give the correct receipt?

I am stunned at what my students know. Most of my students can do square root in their head. Most of them can do long division to the extreme decimal point in their head. Thais graduates are about 2-3 years ahead of Canadian students in Maths. Look at the academic olympics and you will see thais at the top of the heap in Maths. A Thai has won a metal in the past 2 that I know of.

Cashiers have a grade 6 education. Put someone in any country with a grade 6 or grade 9 education in a cahier position and you will have similar results.

But to say that Thais are poor at math if far from the truth as far as I am concerned. The curriculum is far superior to North america, England, Australia etc. I am sure part of europe with a better education system ( holland, Switzerland etc) would be on par.

Thai medals at the academic Olympics

Posted on Wednesday, 31 July 2002, 14: 38 GMT

Thailand has been successful at the academic Olympics this year. Veerapong Padungsak-anant has won Thailand's first gold medal from this year's physics Olympics contest.

The deputy Education Minister said that it was a historic victory, as physics was known as the toughest subject in the academic Olympics.

Two silver medals also went to Thai students, Thanes Pritiworasin and Sinit Witawasiri .

Pavit Sangchan won a bronze medal and Monsit Tanasitthikosol an honorary award. The physics Olympics were held in Bali, Indonesia this year.

Six Thai students at the mathematics Olympics in Glasgow, Scotland also won awards.

[color:"blue"] Two silver medals went to Tanasin Nampaisarn and Teerasan Khantawit. Bronze medals went to Nathee Pitiwan and Sira Srisawat. Pathompong Ungprasert and Pongpol Ruankong won honorary awards at the mathematics Olympics [/color] .

Thai students have been competing in the physics category since 1990 and have so far won one gold, two silver and five bronze medals, as well as 14 other honorary awards (Source: The Bangkok Post)

This was not about writing down the number, but rather about her not being able to substract 40.50 from 101.

No, it's even worse. You gave her 1 baht extra, so she only had to add that 1 baht to the amount the display of the cash register was showing!!! :help:

Amazing, LOL

Archived