Thais and math

khunsanuk

Guest lazyphil

For everyday maths I would guess most Thais have a good grasp of basic maths, my mrs maths is razor sharp--its a survival tool!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoseyerdad: That article is all well and good, but those are only a few Thais, hardly representative of the vast majority who stink at math and have been unable to overcome their crappy education system.

Hi,

"Most of my students can do square root in their head."

As long as the result is a whole number and not too great then so can I. Does not really mean all that much.

"Cashiers have a grade 6 education. Put someone in any country with a grade 6 or grade 9 education in a cahier position and you will have similar results."

Point taken, but I still remain that most Thais have lousy Math skills. Same goes for logic skills.

Independent thought is just not promoted in Thai schools, just root learning. And that I think is at the base of this, and a lot of other problems.

Sanuk!

Cashiers have a grade 6 education. Put someone in any country with a grade 6 or grade 9 education in a cahier position and you will have similar results.

Someone with a grade 6 education really should be able to subtract 40.50 from 101! That's grade 3 stuff!

Archived