Shorts

Just wear shorts tee shirt and sandals, your a lot happier if you feel comfortable, no point trying to look like a seasoned expat if your not.

I think a lot of people pay too much attention to what Bangkok people will think of them.

Your on holiday do what you want within reason, who gives a toss if some Thai office clerk think that you dress like a peasant, ever going to see him or her again? cool.gif" border="0

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by spirit_of_town_hall:

"... who gives a toss if some Thai office clerk think that you dress like a peasant, ever going to see him or her again?"

You might give a toss though what a pretty university student thinks of you. Dressing down decreases your chances of scoring with any "regular" woman. Thais are very aesthetically-minded and anyone who looks in the least bit scruffy is a visual offense to them, "ugly". If you stay long enough in Thailand, this notion will automatically rub off on you.

With bar girls it hardly matters of course, as they usually hail from dirt-poor peasant families. I guess it all boils down to where your priorities are.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Hi Scum Baggio,

Unfortunately I'm only ever there on holiday, 2 -3 weeks at a time. Normally I spend my day time at MBK, Prantip Plaza, (shopping in effect).

I'm fairly big at 200 pounds and unused to the heat. The heat during the day I find oppressive, also I'm there for 3 weeks far to short a time to strike up a relationship with a nice TG, I believe its hard for expats a lot of time and boredom.

In the evening I will sometime wear slacks and a polo shirt, especially if I'm going to Tony's.

I always make a point of wearing decent clobber, and although some will think this foolish wear a genuine good swiss watch. So although my clothing is casual they can see I'm not some bum. Never found wearing shorts to be a problem with the bar girls although a couple of times I wore them in Tony's and realised I was slightly underdressed

To Spirit:

What's a "clobber." Please excuse my gross ignorance, but that might be a British term that we Americans are unfamiliar with.

Thanks!

Ah! Just looked that word up in my dictionary. It means "personal effects." Now, that makes sense!

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: teacherwannabe ]

In the day I absolutely must wear shorts if it is 85+ degrees. At night though, I dress down very nicely usually with some khaki slacks or some black dress pants, golf shirt or button down with some nice casual leather "club shoes". I have almost no hair on my legs :-) I do have a hairy chest though. Some American women like it. I don't think it will be so popular in Thailand although it wont be seen until barfine is paid and said woman is in bed. Too late then! Seriously, I do want to get rid of my chest hair before I go. I had to shave it once for a heart monitor and it irritated the hell out of me growing back. Any suggestions for getting my chest to look like "a new born baby".

Mykal

LOS in September!!!!

Hi spirit_of_town_hall,

yes, if you're only here for 2-3 weeks getting it on with a regular Thai lady is virtually out of the question. If your "clobber" is decent and clean that will do for the bargirls ("clobber must be the latest incarnation of the sixties' "gear").

As for spending all lot of time in MBK - boy, can I understand that! It's the centre of the universe as far as pretty women are concerned. Most of them are students, plus a few secretaries. Some of the freelancers who hang out at Siam Hotel at night go shopping at MBK in the afternoon and evening - blowing most of the money they made the night before!

Hi Mykal,

If you absolutely need to wear shorts stay in Pattaya. It's the only place where I find it acceptable. (from hotel to beach to bar - up to you in which order)

It's irrespectful in most countries on this planet.

No reason at all why you should not wear pants in 90-90 weather, it protects you in the first place and it is comfortable.

Archived