Shorts

Will they throw rocks at me if I wear shorts like they do women in Israel? *L* It gets mighty hot there and I cannot take long pants in 90-90 weather (degree, humidity). What do you guys do?

Mykal

LOS in September!!!!

PS Can't you guys tell I am trying to be the most prepared newbie ever?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the replies. I will be leaving September 9th! Fly out on that ugly Northwest 6:10am flight. We can have a brew in the airport! I will probably be arriving at the airport after a full last night of misadventures!

Mykal

LOS in September!!!!

Mykal,

Too bad. I arrive about 5 hours after you leave for three weeks of sanuk. If this is your first trip, I know you're going to love it. I was hoping to hit a few places with you. I love going into the gogo bars with rookies so I can watch their reactions and the reactions of the girls to them. Enjoy.

augustart

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: augustart ]

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in Mykal but (as far as Bangkok goes)remember that wearing shorts anywhere other than the beach is as good as a flashing neon sign on your head saying 'TOURIST'.

Nothing too wrong in that but you just might attract more street touts, jewelry scam artists and overcharging taxi drivers - beware.

I wear shorts there all the time, and I see

Thai's wearing them all the time (everywhere in bangkok, except for temples). It's absurd to wear long pants in such hot

weather (unless you don't feel hot).

Arai wa is right; in shorts you'll look like a tourist and not even a very respectable one at that, and you'll attract attention from unwanted quarters. Besides, Thais usually regard the sight of hairy male legs as "na-gliet" (ugly), though they probably wouldn't tell you that.

Don't take those old Thai-Chinese slobs in shorts and undershirts (if any) as a yardstick - they're going about their business (probably repairing old sewing-machines or water-pumps) and even they wouldn't go out like that, say to visit the local "tea house" a.k.a. cheapo brothel. Any suspected "Thais" walking around Sukhumvit in shorts are probably Singaporean tourists.

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

The "shorts thing" has recently become a real dilemma for me, even though, I think, it might really be only in my mind. Right now I'm sitting in an Internet cafe in Phuket wearing shorts, a shirt w/ collar, and, today, I decided to put on a pair of socks and Reebock walkers. I'm here to sell my product and I look like anything but a businessman.

My wife, on the other hand, is dressed for a chilly day in Hong Kong. Black Long sleeved sweater dress and black slacks. She thinks she not dressed up enough! Oh, Thai fashion statements! The importance of how you look in every Thai's mind.

OK, so what happened to me? Did I just get lazy over the years? Don't I care how I look anymore? Am I now more concerned with comfort? What happened to my sense of vanity?

Really, I guess I don't care anymore. I do still take a couple of showers a day and I shave every morning. When you get right down to it, any farang not wearing at least a long sleeve shirt, slacks and leather shoes will always look like a tourist here, so you might as well be comfortable in the bargain.

I still feel too uncomfortable to go out at night in anything but long pants, although recently I've been able to start wearing sandals after dark. laugh.gif" border="0

Archived