Shorts

Let me see now the topic here is 'shorts' right.

Judging by the tone of some of the postts . I thought we were discussing sex with each other wives, mothers, sisters etc.

My experience on the subject is that the wearing of shorts will make certian Thai's feel uncomfortable, usually females.

I have worn shorts ourtside during the day once and immediately my girl friends family enquired as to whether I was goiung to play soccer that afternoon. My girl friend constantly reminds me not to wear shorts in Bangkok and so I comply.

My first wife was indian and even though we met in New York she was completely aghast and refused to look me in the eyes and enter my apartment until i changed into long pants the first time she saw me in shorts

This will be the reaction from many asian and middle eastern people.

I was down in Hua Hin this last week end and just completing my breakfast in the indoor restaurant of the hotel ( I was in shorts- it is a resort) when in walked a northern european 6ft 3in or so 200+ lbs and dressed only in a pair of speedos (no top)that looked to be a size or two too small or perhaps he was just happy to see me.

I thought he was inconsiderate. We all have our views.

It is not so long ago that a town in Southern Spain was so incensed at how tourists were walking around their town ( I think it was a litlle worse than shorts) that they sent a group of its menfolk to Berlin with accompanying media. They dressed only in speedos and when eventually stopped by the police proceeded to hold a press conference decrying the behaviour of german tourists in their town

Visitors to Thailand or any other country might want to take note of the feelings and attitudes of their hosts. It is not always a question of whether something is legal or not. Every non Thai in Thailand is an ambassdador for his country. At the end of the day people will do what they themselves think is right and appropriate

I can not think of many places that would object to someone walking in to their establishment wearing shorts.

And certainly if you wish to go nowhere other than NEP or similar it will not impact your ability to find suitable nighttime company.

Now the fact that farangs are renowned for only taking one shower a week whether they need it or not is another ...........

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TGreamer,

"There are definintely places not to wear shorts in any big city, but out having fun in non-business & non-religious places are in my opinion ok to wear shorts, especially if I'm paying. "

I agree with that statement. That's why I said shorts in Pattaya are acceptable. I should have added NEP, Soy Cowboy and Patpong, any beach area. I don't like to make long statements. Would say wearing shorts when visiting the country is not adviseable, you never know where you will be invited to get in (temples, private houses) and that is a question of "respect and avoidance".

I also understand there are places on earth where wearing shorts is not "offending" but that is not a majority. Decent dressing in foreign places is showing respect for "unknown" cultures. I hope this is not difficult to understand. It's a question of judgement on location and circumstances.

And I do like Piketpete's comments.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

quote:

Originally posted by phiketpete:

My girl friend constantly reminds me not to wear shorts in Bangkok and so I comply.

My first wife was indian and even though we met in New York she was completely aghast and refused to look me in the eyes and enter my apartment until i changed into long pants the first time she saw me in shorts

Dude you either have some nasty legs or you're totally pussy whipped.

quote:

Originally posted by thalenoi:

I also understand there are places on earth where wearing shorts is not "offending" but that is not a majority. Decent dressing in foreign places is showing respect for "unknown" cultures. I hope this is not difficult to understand. It's a question of judgement on location and circumstances.

Still totally disagree. I've worn shorts around the world (China, S. Korea, Africa) and have been treated very well and warmly received by locals. Some of us can pull it off and some shouldn't even wear shorts at the beach.

TGReamer said:

quote:

Some of us can pull it off and some shouldn't even wear shorts at the beach.

Unforunately, I fall into the latter category so my initial advice to Mykal may have been coloured by my own personal 'shortcomings' wink.gif" border="0 (bad pun intended).

Arai wa

Interesting thread. Lots of strong feelings about shorts.

My experience is two-fold. If you want to wear, shorts, no one will stop you. And, it is a truism in the sanuk scene that the most important item in your attire is a thick wallet.

But, I also think that the girls really do prefer long pants at night, even at the beach resorts. I have worn shorts with my regulars at night, and they softly suggest that I put on something nicer. Same with a long sleeved shirt. But, I draw the line at socks. Its just too damn hot.

Bottom line, wear what is comfortable for you, but most girls do prefer long pants. IMHO

Archived