TG got Tourist Visa!!

Frog Patrol,

You could marry her while in the US and then do form I-130, but I would STRONGLY suggest against it. First of all, it just makes it more difficult for other Thais to get Tourist Visas because the Embassy has further proof that single Thai women will not return to LOS. Second, I think the process is quite a bit more complicated than the Fiancee Visa, probably would have to use an attorney. Why not just have her return to LOS and then do a Fiancee Visa? It really is a fairly simple process. Jay

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by frogpatrol:

Quick question: Can you marry a Thai girl in the States if she is on a tourist VISA there, or must she enter on a fiance or other (e.g., student) VISA?

froggo

I just married my Thai girlfriend here in the States while she was visiting on a 10 year tourist visa. Were are beginning the I-130 application process. A freind recently did this and got his wife's documentation in less than one month.

Seems she had all the requirements and all kind of letters showing her good status. Not quite a little clerk at Robinson, though. Also, the 10 year visa means she can show up in the States during the next 10 years without having to go to the embassy again. The stamp she'll get, entering the USA will most likely be between 1 and 3 months, At the discretion of the custom officer on arrival. Good if she has a letter of invitation on her, still. Better not lose her passport, or it's back to square one. Congrats!

As i said, 1 to 3 months. they might ask her how long, and she needs to be straightforward about her answer and might have to explain what are her plans. i also think she can get an extension of the same amount of time stamped. But she'll need the airlines ticket. My guess is that they do not make it as easy for a thai lady as for a european. Better you go with her, then.

quote:

Originally posted by JAYBLOOM:

Frog Patrol,

You could marry her while in the US and then do form I-130, but I would STRONGLY suggest against it. First of all, it just makes it more difficult for other Thais to get Tourist Visas because the Embassy has further proof that single Thai women will not return to LOS. Second, I think the process is quite a bit more complicated than the Fiancee Visa, probably would have to use an attorney. Why not just have her return to LOS and then do a Fiancee Visa? It really is a fairly simple process. Jay

Strange answer! If she gets married, she is not single anymore. i think US are worried about illegals, not people who go thru a legal process of immigration. It actually proves them that many thais intend to follow the legal way, unlike latin-americans. The fiancee visa is a simple process that takes a long time, especially if you've already been staying and are ready to go befond fiancee status. IMO

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

Strange answer! If she gets married, she is not single anymore. i think US are worried about illegals, not people who go thru a legal process of immigration. It actually proves them that many thais intend to follow the legal way, unlike latin-americans. The fiancee visa is a simple process that takes a long time, especially if you've already been staying and are ready to go befond fiancee status. IMO

My friend in California once had his Indonesian GF come visit him on a tourist visa. A few weeks after she returned to Jakarta the American Embassy called her to check if she was back in Indonesia. She was going to go to the embassy to show that she did in fact return to Jakarta but they said on the telephone that that would not be necessary. I think they keep records regarding how many tourists do actually return home and it is irrelevant whether they end up getting married in the US or not. Based on these statistics the embassy determines how liberal their policy will be regarding the issuance of Tourist Visas.

Pataya127,

I'm a little unclear as to what she should tell customs her reason for entry. She would like to stay for about two months. Should she tell customs that she is visiting a boyfriend for two months? You mentioned a letter of invitation. What would that be? Would I invite her to come live with me for two months? Also would a return ticket for 2 months later be pushing the custom agents authority complex buttons. Is 30 days the normal allowed entry time?

Also how long does one have to be out of the US before coming back for another visit? Any advice is appreciated.

I just mean to show that she is self-assured about her whereabouts in the States. Nothing is required, but a letter and return ticket will complement her lack of fluent english, and just be a good showing from her. Could exactly mean the difference between 1 month and 3 months. i have no idea about coming back period. On the face of it, she has a 10 year accessibility to US borders (very important, that stamp does not mean she can enter the States anytime, customs on arrival decide that) but she is thai, not french or swedish, the officer, that day, might wonder why a thai woman can't finish her vacation and go home... Work on her english when she comes the first time, and make sure she dresses conservative for her travel, anything that impress upon people in any social situation.

Archived