TG got Tourist Visa!!

Pattaya 127,

She does speak english pretty well already and dresses very well. I guess I'll just have her come up with a plan that will take 2 months to complete. Visiting friends for a month and another month for travel to some tourist destinations. Thanks for the help.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mapper,

Your girlfriend doesn't tell Customs anything about her reason for entry. She tells Immigration. She should tell them her agenda, her plans, for the visit. If it's a reasonable sounding plan she will likely get the amount of time she requests to accomplish it. If her plan is to live with her boyfriend for 3 months they may not be too happy about it, and may not give her the time she requests. Conceivably they could turn her right around and send her back home immediately - possession of a visa does not guarantee entry into the US, the INS agent at the POE has the authority to deny entry.

As for how long she has to be away between visits, there is no hard and fast rule. The general concept is that she's living (and presumabluy working) abroad and vacationing in the US. If she's spending so much time here and so little at home that it appears that for all practical purposes she's residing here, they'll stop admitting her. Certainly more than 50% of her time in the US would cause residency questions, don't you think? And it would take less than 50% to raise questions about how she's getting so much time off from work.

As for marrying in the US on a tourist visa, it can be done legally and many people do so. However, there are real risks involved and there are serious consequences for anyone who is unsuccessful in following this approach. I suggest you read the section of Doc Steen's web site on adjusting status from a tourist visa before making any decisions on this.

Finally, I agree with another poster, I think it was Jay, who feels that this makes it more difficult for other Thai women to get tourist visas. While marrying on a tourist visa and adjusting status to stay in the US can be done legally, it is not the legal way to enter the US as a fiancee. The US Embassy in Thailand and the INS are both very concerned about Thai women entering the US as tourists, getting married, and remaining in the US.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by mapper:

Pataya127,

I'm a little unclear as to what she should tell customs her reason for entry. She would like to stay for about two months. Should she tell customs that she is visiting a boyfriend for two months? You mentioned a letter of invitation. What would that be? Would I invite her to come live with me for two months? Also would a return ticket for 2 months later be pushing the custom agents authority complex buttons. Is 30 days the normal allowed entry time?

Also how long does one have to be out of the US before coming back for another visit? Any advice is appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by coquetislander:

Just a quick question..... Thai passports are valid for 5 years..... how did she get 10 year visa?????

Same way as I got a multiple entry Indefinite period, many years ago. I wouldimagine.

She can produce the Old passport with the Visa along with her new replacement passport and the visa is still good to the end of the 10years.

Originally posted by JEff:

[QB]. The US Embassy in Thailand and the INS are both very concerned about Thai women entering the US as tourists, getting married, and remaining in the US.

Regards, JEff

--------------

i do not think he should be wearing the blame that marrying her as a tourist lowers visa quotas. Women who use their marriage or their divorce to re-enter a life of prostitution or pimping in the US are the ones who make it hard for others.

Jay,

Jonathan's web site has been moved to <http://alixtcat.50megs.com/>.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by JAYBLOOM:

Jeff,

I found Doc Steen's Web site via Google at

but Jonathan's web site comes up as

"Forbidden" Do you have Jonathan's site? Jay

pattaya127,

Perhaps you are correct, but I have not seen any evidence of this.

I know from personal experience that the consular officials at the US embassy in Bangkok and INS officials at at least one POE (San Francisco) are concerned that young, single Thai women entering the USA as visitors will get married in the USA and not leave.

I also know from anecdotal evidence that INS officers at the POEs have this same concern about single men and women from all over the world who visit frequently and stay for long periods of time.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

--------------

<snip> Women who use their marriage or their divorce to re-enter a life of prostitution or pimping in the US are the ones who make it hard for others.

I agree with all the posters who said to use the K-1 visa system.. Since it's set up specifically for that purpose, so long as you have all your paperwork in order, it's only a time issue...

I'm a very frequent flyer in & out of asia and I returning back to the US usually at POE's such as LA/SFO/HNL/SEA.. I HAVE seen (on more than one occasion) and apparently young asia lady being detained (and a few times being re-turned (ie deported) to their countries) by US Immigration..

I always tell people that a visa only says that the US government certifies all your paperwork is in order... The REAL authorty is the one , single INS officer you see at your POE.. It's HIS/HER call if you get in or not.. Sure it's true that the INS officer rarely refuses admission, but on occasion they do.. Afterall the INS officer is the "frontline" of the immigration syatem.. S/HE sees all the scams etc..

I always say it's far safer to play by the rules that try to run around them..

Also, if you're ever caught violating US Immigration rules and are returned/deported.. You chances of re-admission are damn near zero. If you were the US citizen that helped out in that case, all your future applications with the INS will go under the largest microscope you've ever seen before.. Not an enviable position.

Just my two sataangs worth...

--UPSer smile.gif" border="0

Archived