Anyone in Melbourne?

MooNoi

If you give me plenty of notice, (say 6 weeks), I'll fly up from Melbourne for the event so I can join in the bagging. (Well, I'm from Sydney origially for the first 23 years of my life, but wouldn't live there now - can't afford it and don't want to spend my life sitting in traffic). Would be great to meet you Aussie board guys. Can we bag the Yanks, Brits, Euros and Canadians while they're not there too???!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Hey easy on fella's. Bagging Brisbane shock horror. That would be wright u guys, ganging up on poor old brisbane. By the way how is the wether down there, cold is it, gee can still get a tan up here. Dont worry i wont go into Rugby, or who"s that other team, i forget now, i think they won the last threee premierships in a row. Brisbane umm Brisbane something anyway.

Just joking guys to each there own, so no bagging me, meet up sounds like a great idea for us aussies, i dont know if i can come depends on cheap airfares i suppose. Who knows we might be able to one day make a rotational situation going,

anyway be in los thursday, anybody you want me to look up for you

thats it from me, im rambling now

And this is what the Brisbane members do in hotels for some fun!:: :: ::

Hotel mouse chewers will be charged

By Renee Viellaris and Rosemary Odgers

June 12, 2004

THREE separate investigations have been launched into a Brisbane hotel competition that dared contestants to eat live mice.

The RSPCA is expected to lay charges against the organisers and entrants next week and the Brisbane City Council and the Liquor Licensing Division both began inquiries yesterday when the competition was revealed by The Courier-Mail.

The Exchange Hotel in Brisbane's CBD is under fire for presenting a patron with a $500 holiday at the Gold Coast for torturing and chewing a live mouse. Two men in their 20s accepted a challenge to bite a mouse's tail and keep it in their mouths as long as possible.

RSPCA chief inspector Byron Hall said when the competition seemed to stall, one compere allegedly told the men the first one to eat it would win.

Mr Hall said the two comperes and competitors ? one who is yet to be found ? should go to jail for the premeditated cruelty.

It is believed the two employees who organised the "spur of the moment" event have been sacked.

Sources said the winner, interviewed by the RSPCA yesterday, told investigators he could not remember chewing the mouse because he was too drunk.

The hotel yesterday removed photographs of the Jackass dares from its website. In a statement on behalf of the hotel, director Scott Agnew said he was embarrassed by the incident.

"The offensive part of the promotion on April 14 was conducted without the knowledge of our senior management and after this incident was brought to our attention we immediately made changes to stop such unacceptable behaviour," Mr Agnew said.

"We no longer conduct Jackass promotions at our hotel (and) we have now significantly tightened our management procedures to ensure this type of shocking incident cannot be repeated."

Mr Hall said the RSPCA believes the hotel's management was unaware of the dare and not responsible.

But the city council is not being so lenient.

Deputy Mayor David Hinchliffe said it was a council offence to take a live animal into a food premises.

"I'm all in favour of throwing the book at them. Prosecute to the hilt," he said.

A spokesman for Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said the incident had to be investigated before making assumptions.

The incident has outraged the community and some patrons have vowed never to return to the pub.

Liquor Licensing Division spokesman Wayne Briscoe said the hotel could face up to a $40,000 fine if it served alcohol to intoxicated revellers.

Mr Briscoe said their investigations into the incident were continuing.

A former Jackass contestant came forward yesterday, admitting he was taken to hospital for drinking fabric softener. Before the event he was told to sign a waiver, relieving the hotel of possible legal action.

A website yesterday was inundated with opinions about the dares.

Most people were disgusted by the behaviour and said they would never return to the pub.

They also revealed other challenges included drinking someone else's vomit, swallowing live goldfish, dropping cockroaches in underwear and being whipped on the buttocks.

Premier Peter Beattie said he was appalled by the "cruel and unsavoury" competition.

But he stopped short of pledging to increase penalties.

The Courier-Mail

Would be good to have a daytime meeting... maybe pub lunch or something. Hard to park in the City/Darling Harbour at nightime, and if some people coming from interstate (like me!) are using public transport, much easier to go home in the daylight hours than with the drunks/dickheads/both late at night.

Just a thought.

Fly P.

Archived