Eating/drinking habits

Zaad

Hi,

Can somebody explain why wine really tastes better from a wine glass than say a bowl/ordinary cup/frying pan etc.? Same for beer...I much more prefer right from the bottle or glass than a can. Or whiskey (or firewater) from a bowl-like glass rather than an ordinary glass. Same product but slightly different in taste, perhaps it's all in the mind.

Compare it with certain food that is eaten by hand...grilled chicken, sticky rice, roti (muslim food, delicious), chips, chocolate, hamburgers, pizza etc. Much better than using the best and shiniest cutlery in the world.

Chopsticks is a complete different story though. I can use them but prefer the good old spoon. No difference in taste for me.

More dainty members around?

I have been told tha way wine/spirits hit your pallet makes the difference, also the way your nose and mouth engage the drinking vessel. The idea is, the proper glass allows the elixer to fall properly on the pallet, and thus the subtle nuances are noted...or so they say...

Guest lazyphil

Cant use chop sticks, always ends up as a right debarcle, bloody stupid things...why faff around with the damn things when a spoon and fork does the job!

Hi Zaad,

A good wine must be served in a wine glass...helps to enhance the flavor and hue of the grapes used...allows the wine to ""live"" and thus enjoyed .

Same as a good whiskey/brandy should be served in a ""balloon"" glass to allow the spirit to reach its full flavor once reaches your palate.

Heard many guys say i would drink it out of an old shoe...but really a proper glass will gain the best result and that of the wine maker intended.

I have however drunk some of the best wine out of paper cups and small jars...still enjoyed it.

To each his own? :dunno:

Also remember that taste and smell are tightly coupled and this is why the balloon shaped glass is used. It holds the aroma of the wine and puts is close to the nose while you sip. Good red wine should be enjoyed with the nose as well as the mouth.

Regarding chopsticks, I've become quite adept with them and prefer eating many kinds of food with them. I find I eat slower with chopsticks than I do with a fork and spoon and that's a good thing. In most Western countries, you see how people shovel food into their pie hole leading to fatbastarditis.

How about this one: chilled saki sipped out of a wooden box. Very nice indeed.

>Cant use chop sticks, always ends up as a right debarcle, bloody stupid things...why faff around with the damn things when a spoon and fork does the job!

Funny, today is 30 days since I left Thailand and haven't used spoon and fork since. All chopsticks.

When cooking for myself I like to use them too - disposable, one thing less to wash.

Where did you see in Thai that people use chopsticks? Only in MK restaurants, korean bbq, japanese...haven't been to chinatown restaurants.

My gf says upcountry they have never used them at home.

>Used almost exclusively for Guay-tee-oh and Khanom Jiin. Generally Thais use chopsticks only for some noodles and use a spoon and fork for every thing else.

When I said the same 2 years ago, hell broke loose and I got flames from many members for "not beeing anywhere in Thai other than sex areas of BKK and PTY".

I've been to more than that and other than with MK suki and Japan/Korea restaurants have never seen Thais using chopsticks.

Archived