Eating/drinking habits

Zaad

think_too_mut said:

>Used almost exclusively for Guay-tee-oh and Khanom Jiin. Generally Thais use chopsticks only for some noodles and use a spoon and fork for every thing else.

I've been to more than that and other than with MK suki and Japan/Korea restaurants have never seen Thais using chopsticks.

Hi ttm,

In my experience, chopsticks are used for noodles. Noodle shop in MBK offers chopsticks, not spoon and fork and customers are 99% Thai. Street vendor at corner of Asok and Suk offers chopsticks with noodles.

Khwai

>In my experience, chopsticks are used for noodles. Noodle shop in MBK offers chopsticks, not spoon and fork and customers are 99% Thai. Street vendor at corner of Asok and Suk offers chopsticks with noodles.

(Corner Asok and Suk? That means I haven't even been to sex areas if I haven't seen chopsticks there!)

I did not say chopsticks are non-existant.

Now, I remember what the post was 2 years ago: somebody was grateful to Thailand for, among other things, learning to eat with chopsticks there. The poster kind of equaled Thailand to chopsticks eating Asia.

And I said it was not typical for Thais to use them. Something like surfing in England or Skiing in Australia. Happens but not everywhere everyday.

Zaad said:

Can somebody explain why wine really tastes better from a wine glass than say a bowl/ordinary cup/frying pan etc.? Same for beer...I much more prefer right from the bottle or glass than a can. Or whiskey (or firewater) from a bowl-like glass rather than an ordinary glass. Same product but slightly different in taste, perhaps it's all in the mind.

I dont know for others, but the best way to drink champagne is to pour it on my GF's flat belly and to lick it up :drunk:

.... and add a few sweet strawberries with that .......

Had japanese food last night, cold sake in square wooden bowls :p

BB

>Using chopsticks with rice is a Chinese practice.

Myself, I am trained to eat soup with chopsticks. (Makes a bowl last awhile.)

Just today, had lunch with my translator. A beautiful girl, 10 out of 10.

It was funny and a bit embarassing when she started slurping like a pig, eating a soup with chopsticks. I guess, one can't do it any different.

All other patrons (suits, ties, other beautiful women) were doing the same.

jxxxl said:How about this one: chilled saki sipped out of a wooden box. Very nice indeed.

Yup. And do not forget the little pile of sea salt on the corner of that box.

Now if you like dry sake, try a type called Nigori Sake. It is milky white and served cold (like all good sake; only crap sake is served warm). My fav brand is Otokoyama. One problem...bring money & patience. It isn't cheap nor easy to find outside of Japan or real Japanese expat stores (no joy here in Bangers, but I have not looked that hard). But well worth it IMHO.

And another thing I learned in Kobe when I lived there: 50/50 mix (in a red wine glass) of plum wine and a decent sake, served cold. Velly nice apertif.

Cheers,

SD

think_too_mut said:

Now, I remember what the post was 2 years ago: somebody was grateful to Thailand for, among other things, learning to eat with chopsticks there. The poster kind of equaled Thailand to chopsticks eating Asia.

And I said it was not typical for Thais to use them. Something like surfing in England or Skiing in Australia. Happens but not everywhere everyday.

Hi TTM,

I remember, that was me who said the thing about learining to eat with the sticks in Thailand. Also I remember you saying something about eating with sticks not being a thai-trait, but chinese.

I do agree with you that most of the food coming with sticks has Chinese roots.

But as I ate a lot of guatiew (noodlesoups) then, that was the way I learnt to use the sticks.

I never got very good at eating the soup with the sticks though-... ::

Cheers,

Pharcyde

"Yup. And do not forget the little pile of sea salt on the corner of that box."

I haven't experienced this. How do you partake in the salt while drinking the sake?

"Now if you like dry sake, try a type called Nigori Sake. It is milky white and served cold (like all good sake; only crap sake is served warm)."

Like most Americans living in the US, the only sake I ever tried was served warm, and was crap. I hated it. It wasn't till I started spending time in Japan that I tried nice sake served chilled - no comparison. I haven't had the milky-white sake though, sounds nice. One thing I will say about sake is it goes very well with Japanese beer.

"And another thing I learned in Kobe when I lived there: 50/50 mix (in a red wine glass) of plum wine and a decent sake, served cold. Velly nice apertif. "

I have had this and it's excellent.

Pharcyde said:
think_too_mut said:

Hi TTM,

I remember, that was me who said the thing about learining to eat with the sticks in Thailand. Also I remember you saying something about eating with sticks not being a thai-trait, but chinese.

I do agree with you that most of the food coming with sticks has Chinese roots.

But as I ate a lot of guatiew (noodlesoups) then, that was the way I learnt to use the sticks.

I never got very good at eating the soup with the sticks though-... ::

Cheers,

Pharcyde

Was it you? At that time I had no idea the chopsticks were to be my daily tool.

Let's keep on improving our skills. Until we reach the hights of slurping art:)

Archived