tourist visas and repeat visits

I'm in the fortunate position of working in a job and for an employer that allows for remote off-site work to be done (telecommuting). I've been considering a move to the LOS and am doubtful of getting a non-imm. B and a work permit in this situation.

So I've been pondering the 60-day tourist visa and then doing visa runs option. Is it really just as easy as that? Stay for 60 days (maybe 90 if I can get an extension), then leave the country for a few days, then return with a new fresh 60-day visa?

I guess my concern is over how many times you can do that before they deny you a new visa. I would really hope to stay for at least one year, if not two or three. Can I use tourist visas and repetitive runs for a stay that long? Have others done that?

Am I even thinking straight here? All advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I'd also like to say thanks for all the information I've already gleaned from the posts here.

If a direct reply to me is preferred I can be reached at traveling_tom@hotmail.com.

Many people have been doing visa runs for years and years, some going on tourist visas, others on non-immigrant visas. In the past, it is been without too many hiccups but things seem to be tightening a little. Stories are coming through from many Thai embassies and consulates about how they are refusing to grant non-immigrant visas to people who have stacks of them and are simply entering and exiting the country on them as a means to stay indefinitely. (I heard a story about the Thai embassy in Londn of all places turning down someone this week as they had too many stamps in the passport).

Basically, it is possible to come and go on tourist visas but I personally believe that it is a loophole that will be blocked somehow in the not too distant future.

You really frighten me there with your comments. I have also been staying here for more than 5 years now, both with tourist visas and education visas. I would be in big trouble if they would not allow me in anymore, since I have made some substantial investments here (though I can not qualify as in 'investor' because I made my purchases before the 97 crisis. If you have any good advice, it would be wellcome.

All--

I agree with earlier posts about the some general "tightening"... While it's still true that the rules, or more correctly-- how the rules are interpreted, are still generally loose/liberal... I too have noticed a more formal look at immigration and visas....

for example... I am a US citizen and travel weekly (internationally) for work.. I carry the 48-page jumbo passport and have already had another 10-page insert added...

Needless to say that I have a lot of stamps into and out of various countries worldwide.. sometimes these entries are for very short (1 day) stays..

During my last entry to BKK (9/8) the immigration officer spent a good five minutes making notes about my various comings and goings... I have several expired Non-Imm visas in this passport.. in addition to my current valid one...

It really does seem that Kingdom is partly getting a little tougher on immigration... While the visa and entry standards are no where near that of western european or american standards, there is a marked increase of attention to details now...

---UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I visited the Thai embassy in London the other week and they DO seem to be quite strict about issuing a double entry tourist visa.

Two guys in front of me were refused as they didn't have the evidence to prove they were just going there on holiday.

From what I could hear the guy behind the desk wanted one guy, who claimed he was retired, to show him his return air ticket and the other had to show evidence that he had enough money to support himself whilst there.

Both guys couldn't prove it and so were refused until when ever, so I would suggest bring as much evidence as you can to show you are ONLY a tourist and that you WILL be returning home. It will save you two journeys, alot of waiting and probably some worry.

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: Ed Zeppelin ]

Thanks for all the information so far. I'm still a little doubtful of how it will work out being as I'll need regular high-speed internet access in order to really get any work done and that's going to require a permanent apartment with a service contract for the DSL. Then I leave and get denied a new visa to return...

Any other thoughts from folks out there? Guidance? Suggestions?

I'm still trying to see if I can get a bona fide work permit if I'm employed by an American company but living there. The consulate's first response was "If your company invests...", but I'm hoping that there's a way as my company's investment is going to be limited to supplying my computer hardware, that's it.

Thanks all, this is a kick a** area for getting info on Thailand.

Tom, Just get a "type O" visa, normally easy enough to get in the US. Some Hotels let you run a line to an internet connection for as long as you like. I stayed at the Premier inn in soi 22 (budget Hotel) for a few months and could stay connected for a few hours. Again I believe there are plenty of serviced apartments that will give you a permanent connection.

Just thought to add that I have been living here for most of 10 years and coming in on toursit visa's until July when I got the type O.

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Fatbastard ]

Archived