EURO 2004 - The Results

Mentors

"Yes, Greece is the right winner for THIS Cup."

I disagree. I'd say Portugal, Czech or Denmark.

"Other teams except Russia were not able to beat Greece."

You look at results only..I look at the game, the style, the chances, the football..EVERYTHING!

"Greece has won both games against the home team, they sent Top Favorite France at home, they made a remis against co-favorite team Spain and sent with Czechia another favorite back. "

Again...you look at results only...yes in that case they are the winners, but IMO not the deserved winners thus not the right winners.

Look at their games...it's not football...opponents have better chances (France, Czech, Portugal, Spain) but failed to score and win. Credit for Greece..yes...but mostly due to opponent's misfortune. Especially Czech had great chances to kill the Greeks who have had much luck this tournament.

I won't deny that their tactics were great. Of course they had to play from their own quality and that's a very defensive playstyle. And needed extremely few chances to score. Luck definitely play part in the latter.

Fact is that Greece won and it's a fucking miracle. A miracle that will take YEARS for me to swallow as I firmly believe that they haven't shown the people to be worthy European Champions.

"And before in their qualify group they played great and ranking as first!"

Ranked 1st, yes. Played great, no. Results were great.

"So why they should not be the right winner? Because just Greece (is) was an outsider? "

No, because they haven proven themselves to be worthy Champions unlike other teams in this Championship. They did however get the best results hence their title.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece is the right winner, the results count, not a pirouette, a stupid haircut, one hundred waste chances, a cool tattoo or something like that. Shure, Greece played not an amazing football but their game is effective and this is what you need in a tournament and a bit of luck.

Otherwise the UEFA have to change the point system.

Zaad said:

You look at results only..I look at the game, the style, the chances, the football..EVERYTHING!

Zaad,

Unfortunately, good football does not win you any rewards.... only winning does, not how you win it.

Like I wrote last night : Greece won, football lost.

BB

Yes BB - to a point. As I wrote in another post, football lost as far as your watching pleasure is concerned. But globally, football, as a game, won.

In Melbourne today, (which has the largest Greek community outside of Greece), local soccer clubs were flooded with Greek kids wanting to sign up to play. Can only be a good thing for football.

FlyP

(Seeing the big picture)

BelgianBoy said:Like I wrote last night : Greece won, football lost.
I wonder if the same thoughts would be being said if say the Italians or Germans had won. They are / were regarded as powerhouses of European football, unlike the Greeks, but both play negative football similar to the Greeks.

Teams should certainly have realised how the Greeks play by the time the Semis came around. So for people to say the Czechs and Portugeezers were unlucky is a crock, IMO. It was up to the so called more gifted players to find a way through the less gifted but highly organised Greek defence.

On the night the Greeks were by far the better team, and could've had more than the 1 goal they got.

Well done to the Greeks

and also well done to the Portugal for putting on a great tournament :up: Seems just about everybody had a great time .. Wish I'd gone ..

Cheers

K.

it's not football

--------------------

How is that not? Footbal history is full of "should not have won" stories. Anyone remember Maradona's hand of God?

Kman mentionned Italy. they won a few with their irritating way of defending at all costs. Holland was also "misfortuned" in 1974, against Germany.

I understand your disappointment (at match's end, I thought of you actually, in BKK, 4am, :( and ::) , but this is sport. this Final was, so to speak, Portugal's to loose, as they were home and the favorites to win it. No one else could do it, but themselves.

No misfortune: the greeks did not play better than their other matches, but Portugal did not up its game either, on what was promising to be a great day for Portugal....

Not only that, but P lost twice to them. These are hard facts hard to deny.

I am sure that your disappointment is even stronger as you thought (like evryone of us, save TB) there was no way they could lose it.

I am only saying that because we french are quite well versed in finding our losing teams/athletes the unlucky ones who deserved to win. Not just football.

So, I am still the only one of the regulars on this board who knows what it feels like to celebrate one's country winning a big cup (twice!). Sorry again you could not join this very select club (maybe add greekelvis, but that's Npong).

Greece is the right winner, the results count, not a pirouette, a stupid haircut, one hundred waste chances, a cool tattoo or something like that.

Not every winner is the right winner.

But let's disagree then, this discussion could go on for ages without result.

"it's not football

--------------------

How is that not?"

You know what I mean...should have said; It's not the kind of football people go to stadiums for.

Greece won fair and square..not blaming them..disappointed in Portugal's performance as I had expected a lot more after 4 good games in a row.

In Melbourne today, (which has the largest Greek community outside of Greece), local soccer clubs were flooded with Greek kids wanting to sign up to play. Can only be a good thing for football.

- :), oh, the Greek victory make that the football win! ::

Archived