Am I allergic to chilli

New Petchburi Pete

• 3 weeks later...

OK, Pete. Here is more about chili then you probably wanted to know. Alas, I'm a confirmed chilihead and feel compelled to inform the uninformed chili consumer. :cover:

The reason you sweat, your nose runs, you heat up, your mouth burns, etc. is that your body is reacting to capsaicin, the active ingredient in chilies. This is the same stuff in O.C. tear gas and many pain relief medications. It is also very good for your circulatory and immune systems.

The reason you react more to some chilies than others has to do with the amount of capsaicin they contain, and size is not always telling as in the case of the habanero (the hottest pepper) which is much larger than the hottest (and smallest) Thai variety.

BTW, as capsaicin is oil based water is the worst possible beverage to put out the flames. On the contrary it will just spread the burn. Ideally acidic drinks like lemonade or fatty drinks like milk are the best solutions to a burning mouth. But given that eating really hot chilies releases endorphins (i.e. natural high) why bother?

The best thing I can tell you is that you can build up a bit of a tolerance. But of course that requires frequent exposure to the cause of your pain. :grinyes:

The units use to measure the capsaicin level (and therefore heat level) of chilies is called the scoville unit. Here is a chart: Scoville Unit Scale

Sorry you asked? :dunno:

While we're on this very interesting topic... :)

I like drinking heavily; and, I like beer :drunk:... but, it doesn't seem to like me! :(

Whenever I drink 12 pints of lager chased down with a half bottle of Laphroag whisky and a couple of large brandy nightcaps, :up: I sweat profusely the next morning! Mostly, my head, face and balls sweat. :: It's so intense that it can be embarrasing. :p At hotels, people, especially the fat grotesque whinging bargirl with a face like a bag of nails :doah: that I shagged up the arse 5 hours previously thinking she was a 10/10 stunner, :hubba: definitely spot this. :o

Is it that I'm allergic to beer? :down: ... does beer affect anyone else like this? ::

jack :help:

Archived