Am I allergic to chilli

New Petchburi Pete

I like spicy foods; and, I like chilli ... but, it doesn't seem to like me! :(

Whenever I eat chilli, I sweat profusely! Mostly, my head and face sweats. It's so intense that it can be embarrasing. At restaurants, people, especially the waiter/waitress, definitely spot this. ::

Is it that I'm allergic to chilli? ... does chilli affect anyone else like this?

New Petchburi Pete said:

Is it that I'm allergic to chilli? ... does chilli affect anyone else like this?

Chilli affects a lot of people this way, to a greater or lesser degree. I always sweat when I eat it/them, though not to your extent.

The only cure, I'm afraid, is abstinence which like other activities here, is not an option when it's something that you really enjoy.

An allergic reaction to a particular food is a different matter altogether, and can be very serious, ranging from discomfort to medical emergency. I've never heard of anyone being allergic to chilli, but I suppose that it is possible.

Reminds me of a brand of hot sauce called "pure sweat" showing a guy sweating on the bottle. For me, facial sweating (not that bad), a runny nose, even a red face have become a lot less as time went on eating Thai food to the point now I rarely notice symptoms. I was a real wimp about chili's before Thailand. Now I find myself repeating "sep" over and over (Isaan for tastes good) when I get a good bite of spice. :)

Yeah,

I won't discontinue the chilli ... just won't go for phet phet!

In the States, I ate jars of pepperoncinis ... then graduated to the jalepenos (aren't they a variety of chiili?), which made me sweat, but not as badly as the chillies over here.

Which ones are the hottest? ... green or red? ... or is it related

to time of harvesting as I believe I read?

keep eating them - you will build up a tolerance. As for jalepenos, when back in the States, I go to one Mexican restaurant, but into one of their jalepenos, and then begin accusing the manager of buying the cheap jalepenos that are not hot.

As for heat, each variety is different. Some hotter, some colder. Some are extremely hot.

Have the wife dry roast you some chili peppers. The process generally gives off the effects of pepper spray. After awhile, you can develop an immunity to that also.

After a while they start to taste sweet, don't worry about it. I had a bird on Kho Samui who would eat Som Tam all day and we went for an English meal ata restaurant. We had roast beef. I t was amazing that she found the horseradish sauce too hot "pet mahk mahk" and couldn't eat it.

cheers

Archived