Nationality of mixed children

check_bin_krap said:

For those of you who have mixed kids (Thai/farang for instance), which nationality do they have? Do you have 2 passports for them, or only one?

My kid doesn't have any nationality yet, but we want to have only the foreign one when we get it.

Cheers!

Hi

Can have both passports ...up to you.

If Thai...best to keep both so can own land in LOs in the future.

Not sure about Viet Nam :dunno:

My wifes son is thai...but not via me..from a Thai (runner)....and will have two passports in the end......paper work

Both. Any particular reason not to get your kid a Thai passport? There is only one drawback(?) that I can see, and that may not be an issue -- "compulsory" military service for males. Otherwise there are no negative implications like tax issues and the kid can own land when he/she is old enough.

"We just got two passports for our little one. "

Congrats Limbo!

As I have a 50% Viet one I am more wary. Firstly, Viet Nam does not approve of 2 nationalities. Secondly, he would be treated as a Vietnamese citizen whenever he is there. Thats not so safe there - Viet Nam has a history of disregarding human rights. They have improved lately, but are not comparable to Thai level yet.

It has shown now, as we are working our way through red tape!

Cheers!

Hi CBK,

Try to get the western passport.

Where will you be located once the red tape is sorted out? In a Schengen country or here in SEA somewhere?

I understand correctly that Vietnam is not in the picture or did I miss interprete that?

Archived