Saudi Arabia worth a visit?

sabio

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i am just back in Saudi after a month in Thailand and believe me the atmosphere is very tense.

This is a bad place to be right now.

I also live very close to the causeway and go to Bahrain every weekend but it is not cheaper than Thailand for sanuk.

You can get short time for anything from about 2000baht up to whatever you are silly enough to pay. However unless you have an apartment there or get a freelancer you will also have to pay for a hotel so it can get costly. There are many nationalities to choose from although i prefer Thai and have a few regulars there. Most of the guys i work with live in Bahrain and i am probably moving over in the next few weeks and will do the commute.

Hi Zorro,

Interesting that they are charging you as much as that. It would be interesting to know which areas you are visiting. Jufail..?? Adliyah..?? Manama..??

Most of the time they will accept a free night out, or around 1200 baht max (with no bar fine). I know sometimes they are trying to rip people off in the bars of the 5 stars etc..

Another thing visiting at the weekend is completely different to during the week, It is cheaper during the week and they all seem to hang around different areas .. You can not move for them during the week in Jufail.

If you go to the hotels where the gals work you will not be able to get the gals for prices like 120 bd.

Freelancers are another kettle of fish but i would say that you might get them for cheaper than 200 bd but i don't know anyone that does.

During the week is a good bet for lower prices as there are not many punters around so you chances definitely improve.

Rock Bottom, Wranglers and F1 all have lots of freelancers but i haven't managed to get the prices they charge down below 200 , 250 and plenty will laugh at such prices.

Now if you go to places where some of the African and Indian gals hang out it might be possible but you are going into some real dives to find these gals.

200-300 bd is just about standard ST from what i have seen in Bahrain although i will admit that times are hard for the gals these days.

Where are you finding gals such so low prices and what about the quality?

I work at Aramco but don't like going to Bahrain cept for the weekend as i have to get up early for work.

Hi,

Yeah you probably do pay those prices around Rockbottom on a weekend, during the week its cheaper.. But try other areas like Omar Khayam, Sea Shell, Capital, Tobasco Charlies etc if it is the weekend, you will get them cheaper and even cheaper during the week. There were some beauties in TC's last week..

Take Care, I am not going over at the moment.. for obvious reasons.. so it seems that little escape is out of bounds too now.

Glad to see we have some saudi guys here as i may end up working there by years end. Aramco is a prospect.

Quick question for you: a news flash a few weeks back said that foreigners in the kingdom will be allowed to carry firearms. Did this come to pass?

Bangkok tonight has a very long thread on Dubai which you should check out.

Dubai is great. I have partaken many times.

Bahrain is only 45 mins away if you are in Dharhan and there are plenty of thai gals to keep you happy.

As for Armaco that is where i work but i have to say most people are thinking of leaving as the security situation is not too great. In fact quite a few have left already.

This place is a powderkeg. No westerners have been killed in the last couple of weeks so it has been relatively quiet but i suggest you do a search on Saudi and check what has been going on here.

The US embassy advised all Americans to leave a month or two ago.

Been reading every day western and arab news sites on the net. Being there would give a different view of things no doubt, but the press coverage paints a bleak future already for the royal family. The guys they are up against have cut their teeth in iraq and are bringing their new skills home to saudi.

From what i see, the military guards at the western housing compounds are a big risk for westerners, would take just one turncoat to cause the whole thing to breakdown.

Anyway, the danger affects the pay so off i go. r u staying?

If I can get away for a half dozen days a month to bahrain or dubai, then no matter how miserable daily life is in Saudi I can deal with it. BTW, what does it cost to fly from saudi to thailand?

Thanks for that bkk2nite site, will check it later.

You can live in Bahrain if you are a contractor for Aramco as i am and many are doing that and driving back and forward.

If you are a direct hire employee you will live on camp here in Dharhan.

Am I staying or going?

Good question. I am evaluating the situation daily as is every westerner here. Things are not good and they are probably going to get worse. Al Qaeda has grass roots support here and all the security on the compounds is really a facade as the Khobar massacre last month proves. The guards will not do anything if Al Qeada turns up looking for Americans to butcher and probably they will point to your appartment.

I am actively looking for work elsewhere but am reluctant to leave as i have been here a long time and get paid very well.

A ticket to Bangkok is about 2000 riyals....3.75 riyals to the dollar and is only a six hour flight.

I would not come here unless you are really desperate for cash and even then i wouldn't come.

Archived