tourist visa to USA

My Thai girlfriend was granted a three month tourist visa to the USA. Not much in the bank, doesn't own property, does have a two year employment record with the same firm.

Embassy apparently wants to know if the American sponsor has roots here in LOS as well. I was amazed but it can be done. She did it.

Cheers!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She (or more correctly YOU) are sooo lucky... I'm sure that all the other posters will tell you that it is V-E-R-Y hard to get a tourist visa to US for Thai ladies... They do issue them (as in your case) but rarely do...

FYI, my current TGF had one four years back to visit her sister in Honolulu.. Now she wants to visit ME in USA... She went to the US Embassy and asked about it... They told her since she's had one in the past (and didn't overstay) she will most likey get another one... dee krap!

All she needs to do is provide basic work papers and her apartment lease contract...

---UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Sombat,

This angle is what made the difference in my girlfriend getting a B2 Visitor Visa to the US a few years ago. She had some similar personal circumstance to your girlfriend, little money in the bank and no property. A likely negative she had was that she was self-employed as a curb-side restaurant owner, so no way to document employment and income.

The farang's ties to Thailand are a powerful benefit when they exist, and so should be well documented for the visa application.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Sombat:

My Thai girlfriend was granted a three month tourist visa to the USA. Not much in the bank, doesn't own property, does have a two year employment record with the same firm.

Embassy apparently wants to know if the American sponsor has roots here in LOS as well. I was amazed but it can be done. She did it.

Cheers!

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: JEff ]

Right, my girlfriend was told that she would get a three month visa and when she returned next time she would get a 10 year visa. Also, the woman asked me to show my passport.

I assured her I had lived in Thailand for one year this last trip and in Asia for 21 years and needed to be here as my novels are set in Asia. My having roots here was also an important factor. Needless to say, my girlfriend is over the moon (as I think the British say) or tickled pink, or whatever. Just before us, an unemployed Thai girl was rejected. The American girl behind the counter didn't realize that the mike was on and we could hear everything she said to the girl and her farang boyfriend. If your girl is unemployed, don't waste your time trying to get her a visa.

My girlfriend and her English is a riot. She looked at the American girl behind the counter and said, "I want to visit your mother because she is very old." I said, "No, you want to visit MY mother." The American chick laughed and said in Thai that her mother wasn't really all that old.

Cheers!

I had to show my employment contract and my work permit.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Sombat:

Right, my girlfriend was told that she would get a three month visa and when she returned next time she would get a 10 year visa. Also, the woman asked me to show my passport.

Cheers!

One thing I am unclear on is what benefits a farang gets in staying in Thailand once married to a Thai woman. One year visa, I think, but does this mean I would still have to leave every few months and just not need to get a visa to reenter or does it mean I would NOT have to leave LOS at all for a year if I chose not to. And would I have multiple-reentry status?

Thanks.

Archived