Review: Bob's Bar-b-que and Grill, Pattaya

expat

poskat said:

Save me a seat on the Express.

Ex- thanks for the review. I live in Chicago, so I will try to get the chance enjoy to have a taste of BBQ in LOS!!

FlyP- I don't know the comparison, but what are the differences in life expectancy of Western countries vs SEA countries? Everybody dies from something. You can eat bark and twigs (and bugs) your whole life, and get hit by a bus crossing the street. Enjoy.

poskat

Compare your typical 40yo Thai woman with a typical 40yo female like object in the West. Nuf said!

Bob's is on my list for my next trip. Thanks for the tip expat.

As for the debate about meat, fat, cholesterol and obesity I would argue that we human are omnivores and in some regions of the world almost carnivorous and have been for millenia. I don't think meat, as such, is the culprit in the problem of obesity in developed countries.

Imho people in western societies, particularly English-speaking ones, eat huge amounts of refined and almost empty carbohydrate foods such as white bread, sugary sodas, cookies/biscuits, cakes, ice cream and fried starch (fries/chips).

Have a look at obese people's supermarket trolleys in Minneapolis, Manchester or Melbourne: gallons of Coke, sugar-drenched cereals, added-sugar juices, dried processed snack foods and other 'comfort' foods.

What about 99.9% fat-free yoghurt with about a handful of sugar thrown in?

Don't get me started on margarine (really bad shit -- do a search on trans fats).

What has all this low-fat-less-meat-more-carbs food pyramid crap achieved in the last twenty years? An epidemic of fat people that's what.

I intend to truly enjoy Bob's ribs and burgers on my next trip. Perhaps with a glass or two of Aussie red.

Sorry for the longish post.

Good to see a posting about Bob's place. I used to hang out with Bob when he lived in BKK 15 years ago. He was one of the larger than life characters who frequented Jools 15 years ago. To avoid going off the rails, Bob wisely choose to settledown in Pattaya many years ago.

expat said:...<snip>..The ribs are good. Fallin'-off-the-bone-but-still-bite-back-at-you good. The-Mrs-almost-bit-my-finger-off-cuz-we-wuz-goin'-for-the-same-juicy-morsel good.

I've been to Bob's...but was not impressed with their ribs. They were well cooked but were fairly bland in flavor. I prefer the ribs at the 'New Orleans Cafe' on Pattayland2, especially on weekends when they are featured on the all-you-can-eat buffet for 250-Bt. More flavorful. Also I've some friends that prefer the ribs at 'Tequila' xx?xx' on Soi-7, near Beach Road (I just ate there last week & alzheimers took the name away :( )

Tequila Reef. A nice cool pleasant, clean (hong nom also) stop in Soi 7. The Baja California grub is passable, but good for Pattaya, and the marguiritas are tasty. My tgf liked them.

"More flavorful. Also I've some friends that prefer the ribs at 'Tequila' xx?xx' on Soi-7, near Beach Road (I just ate there last week & alzheimers took the name away )"

• 2 months later...

Thanks expat for the tip,

Most days of the week I find myself driving down that road for something. I'll try the ribs; but, after just having oatmeal for breakfast (yes, Quaker's is sold in Pattaya at Carrefour and Lotus ... but, not always in stock), I'm already craving a burger for lunch; and, it's only about 11am!

If I spot this place (avoid the distractions), and can get a space, I'll give it a whirl today!

"He tells me his signature is a hamburger that starts with a patty the size of a pizza." ... my mouth is already watering!

Don't get me wrong. Mostly I/we eat Thai food. But, every now and then, I need a 'farang break.'

Hi godolphin,

We're getting a bit off topic here; but, I agree with most of what you say. I'm sure you know that the food pyramid has been restructured ... less starch & carbs at the base. No matter what the composition of the food pyramid, having the masses eat in accordance with it is an entirely different animal!

Also, the "epidemic of fat people" you mention has definitely spread to Asia and SE Asia, supposedly attributed to improving economic circumstances.

Check out Lotus. Look at the aisles of junk food! Take a look at what some throw in their shopping carts in Thailand. Oh yeah, the Thais love their junk foods and sweets. Also, such items abound even at local markets, usually where the poorer folk (or bargain conscious) shop. I remember one guy who used to ask under "Nightlife" if there were any chubby bargirls around ... notice that we haven't heard from him in quite a while!

Take note of the public outcry over the current shortage of refined sugar here in LOS.

The media blames mistakes by the govenment in their control of the sugar supply. Don't ask me to explain why the government is even involved in any said control?

:dunno::topic:

We had lunch at Bob's Bar-b-que & Grill early this afternoon.

The hamburgers come in two sizes. The larger one, which the waitress said was as big as the plate (yup, probably as big as a small pizza) sounded too big, so I settled for the smaller one, which was far from small. I thought it was quite decent. They use Black Angus beef from Argentina; and, they do have steaks as well. The menu has several interesting items. I'm sure I'll go back as it's easy to find and parking was no problem. The place is fully enclosed now with A/C.

On wednesday nights they feature a rib spcial, so that's probably when I'll give those a try. There were 3 guys from the States having a new dish, a fried Texas chicken steak with cream sauce that looked very good.

BTW, there were 6 adults in Bob's ... only one I would describe as moderately obese ... and, they said they eat there frequently.

I/we got to meet Bob. He described the room upstairs as sort of a VIP room. They are having a super bowl party next monday morning (several good ones in Pattaya) starting at 6am. Unfortunately, I've got to drive to Bangkok that morning so I'll miss most of the game.

:banghead:

Archived