Review: Bob's Bar-b-que and Grill, Pattaya

expat

When I lived in Berkeley, California, I used to make late-night forays to East-14th street in Oakland. It was a rough neighborhood, but I was drawn there for one reason: Barbecue. I loves my bbq. I'll go to the ends of the earth for some decent slow-cooked ribs.

I went back in May. Went to my favorite rib joint. A rack was $30! What the hell is Bush doing back there? Sheesh.

Oh, yeah, this is a review. I'm driving from Sukhumvit Road down South Pattaya road towards the beach with the Mrs., killin' time. Almost get to Third Road. On the right, opposite Soi Rungland, I spot Bob's. Just a shophouse with a little A-frame sign in front. Atmosphere, scmatmosphere: you can't eat no stinkin' ambience.

The work 'ribs' may have been written in small letters on that little sign, but it might as well have been in neon.

Unfortunately, the place is closed. Guess it opens around noon. We make it back as soon as it's humanly possible. Bob's there. He's American. Good sign. Texas bbq. Ok, no use discriminating against foreigners, we'll give it a shot. He tells the Mrs. they have Thai food, too. We just laugh.

He tells me his signature is a hamburger that starts with a patty the size of a pizza. I just smile.

We order a full rack for the next day. I want to give him time to do it proper.

We take it home and rip open the package. It really is a full, nice-sized rack. Good sign. Included (as if I care) are a baked potato, half a corn cob, some steamed vegetables (orangey and greeny type stuff), and a salad with ranch dressing.

The ribs are good. Fallin'-off-the-bone-but-still-bite-back-at-you good. The-Mrs-almost-bit-my-finger-off-cuz-we-wuz-goin'-for-the-same-juicy-morsel good.

Hate to admit it, but the other junk (you know, the vegetable matter) helps soak up the lovely, juicy rib grease.

The damage: 320 baht out the door. 8 bucks. That's a Bush-beater for you. I'll be back--soon and often. I'll try Bob's massive burger when I get sick of the ribs. Ought to be about a year or two. If any other Yanks want to do the deed for me, I'd be grateful.

He tells me his signature is a hamburger that starts with a patty the size of a pizza. I just smile.

We order a full rack for the next day.

All aboard the 'Heart-Attack Express!' :: :doah:

No wonder western nations are full of obese people.

I'm sure it tastes great, but what does food like this do to your body???

Save me a seat on the Express.

Ex- thanks for the review. I live in Chicago, so I will try to get the chance enjoy to have a taste of BBQ in LOS!!

FlyP- I don't know the comparison, but what are the differences in life expectancy of Western countries vs SEA countries? Everybody dies from something. You can eat bark and twigs (and bugs) your whole life, and get hit by a bus crossing the street. Enjoy.

poskat

FlyP- I don't know the comparison, but what are the differences in life expectancy of Western countries vs SEA countries? Everybody dies from something. You can eat bark and twigs (and bugs) your whole life, and get hit by a bus crossing the street. Enjoy.

Hi Poskat,

Fair point! But the main cause of lower life-expectancy in SEA is the lack of access to modern medicines and medical facilities for a large majority of the population.

As a rule, a SEA diet, (particularly Thai/Viet/Laos food), is far lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than the average western diet. The Japanese have the healthiest diet of all, and heart disease cases there are one of the lowest rates in the world.

Cheers,

FlyP

FlyPapillon said:As a rule, a SEA diet, (particularly Thai/Viet/Laos food), is far lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than the average western diet.

Dunno know about that. In theory it should be, but that crappy palm oil used to fry everything is murder on your heart & cholesterol levels. We use safflower oil and even the maid uses it for her family after explaining the benefits and showing that it only costs a few satang more.

Expat,

You went to E14th? wow, which place? Everett+ Jones, Nate'S? Flynts? all good! I agree, something about taking your life in your hands for good ribs! Haven't had ribs, Burgers or booze in months...god I feel somuch better and losing weight...ghealthy...sober...some one shoot me please, I can't go on like this... :)

Hey Old Hippie,

Yeah, I used to do Flynt's, Everett and Jones, and some others whose names have floated into the ether.

As for the East 14th runs, for one of them I'd take a run down 680??? and get off at 98th and head up past the projects. Sort of a hit and run thing. The place was quite close to where 98th hit East 14th. I think it originally was a Flynt's, but has gone through a couple of name changes since. Can't remember what the name is now.

The $30 rib rack was at E&J at University and San Pablo (their sauce is to die for and they have a dose of refreshing attitude, too).

As for Nates: I've been trying to find that place for years! I even tried on my last trip, driving randomly around that area near South Van Ness where I perhaps mistakenly believe it is located. I'm beginning to wonder if it is just a myth.

By the by, do you recognize the style of my review? It was lovingly stolen from a Bay Area reviewer.

I want to thank you for getting this thread back on track. I was a bit suprised that it was seen as an opportunity to discuss the evils of the American diet and the problem of obesity in my home country. It would have been nice if that worthy subject had it's own thread. Perhaps I'll start one, but I don't know if it should be in Health or Food. :)

If you're ever down in Pattaya, give me a shout--it will give me an opportunity to tell you who our mutual friend is.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived